platform/dump body

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
modeleh
Model Year: 1930

platform/dump body

Post by modeleh »

I once saw an 88-A platform truck on Ebay that said it was modified to have a dumping flatbed. Has anyone done this? It seems you would have the best of both worlds. Thanks in advance to anyone who could provide some details.
Hayslip
Model Year: 1930

Post by Hayslip »

If you have the pre July 1929 AA truck with rear fenders you can't have a dumping stake body since the fenders are bolted to the body,splash apron and running boards. If you own a short running board AA a dumping stake body is possible. Depending on the make some frame must be lopped off. See Service Bulletins. I have a friend with a Wood dumping mechanism and has the whole frame, but some brands require lopping off some of the frame overhang. Since the tail light bracket is on the frame, the tail light must now be repositioned. I also can't see how one could have a spare tire under the body on a dumping stake body. If you shorten the frame save the pieces, so the next owner can reinstall them if a different body is desired. They don't make these trucks any more.
Hayslip