Shortened Pitman Arm?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
spdway1

Shortened Pitman Arm?

Post by spdway1 »

A Few Questions:
1) Will the "A" shortened pitman arm that the major vendors offer work on a 1930 AA?
Or is the AA pitman arm spacific to the AA?
2) If it will, would there be any any clearence issues (tires, frame, etc.)?

Thanks,
Don Jr 8)
captain marty
Body Type: firetruck
Model Year: 1928

Re: Shortened Pitman Arm?

Post by captain marty »

I saw that short one too. I just ordered a new one and got the standard size. I'm not quite sure what the short one will do. Quicker steering maybe? Clearence shouldn't be a problem.
Marty
drtrcrV-8
Body Type: open
Model Year: 1928

Post by drtrcrV-8 »

Try slower steering. Draw it out : the end of a shorter arm doesn't travel as far as the end of a longer arm, so the benefit is more leverage at the steering wheel, so it's easier, slower steering, just more turning the wheel to get there.
BrianT
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by BrianT »

They work great however in order to have correct steering left and right you will need to have a adjustable drag link, without it you will not have full lock to the left and the right tire will rub the brake rod, ---- I made mine but they are available.
One draw back is if you have any play in the steering box it will feel enhanced, you have the 2 tooth box so you can adjust this out, PM me if you need more help.
I also went with the Teflon tie rod kit, not sure that this helped a great deal as far as making the steering easier, ---- I found that the steel kit is junk, the cups do not conform to the 1 inch balls and will prematurely wear them.
Regards Brian.