Dodge PW/M37 wheels on AA, plan a

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
M37
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1931

Dodge PW/M37 wheels on AA, plan a

Post by M37 »

When I posted pics last time, my rear wheels were reversed and it was mentioned about causing possible problems with that offset. Here is some pics of my plan a to install the Dodge wheels (cause its all I have right now) on the rear. I put 3 flat washers as spacers, out to .45". Then used the standard inner nuts, then the wheels and outter nuts. Looks to have a good offset now.
Attachments
spaced out inner nuts
spaced out inner nuts
moto_0645.jpg (402.78 KiB) Viewed 4910 times
moto_0644.jpg
moto_0644.jpg (446.09 KiB) Viewed 4910 times
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Re: Dodge PW/M37 wheels on AA, plan a

Post by spectria »

The wheel load should be carried on the full wheel center, with the full contact of the center and back of wheel on drum/hub.
That said, For short local travel or rollers this will work. IMO.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

Should also be noted not all washers are created equal. There are usually major (usually visually) variences in thicknesses of standard hardware store washers.
M37

Post by M37 »

I measured the washers to keep the stack within .005". There is technology both ways on hub piloted vs stud piloted wheels. This is unregistered for around the farm, 1st gear only.

Plan "b" was to just install the inner nuts, and cut a outer nut down (about 1/2 thickness) and install backward on the inner nut (stud), then the wheel, then a 2nd outer nut. This would be more precise, but a lot more work. It these loose up or give problems I may try that.

Just a option for people to use readily available wheels on off-road trucks. The diameter of the 900-16 is only about 1-1 .5 larger then a 600-20. You would think somebody would be selling repro wheels by now.
BrianT
Body Type: 82A

Post by BrianT »

You should be OK for what you are using it for, although grade 8 washers would have been better, you also used the correct terminology HUB PILOTING it only centers the wheel and carries no load, wish you luck in finding the correct wheels, in this hobby you never know if your close neighbor has them or they are far away.
Regards Brian.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

AS long as you arent trying to haul 2 tons thru the rutted corn field going 30mp lug centric will be fine. Modern off road jeeps and trucks with aftermarket wheels rarely are hubcetric and don't have issues even off-roading. Two of my "modern" vehicles are supposed to be hub centric but are now lug centric and have been for years.

Also take a look at modern trailer rims - alot of the ones Ive seen are lug centric...

Gonna take a hell of a hit to bust 5 - 1" diameter lug studs off...
RustydoubleA
Body Type: express
Model Year: 1930

Post by RustydoubleA »

Hi, I have had over a hundred power wagons, WWII Dodges, and M-37s. The center of the wheel never touched the hubs on any of them. All of the weight rode on the studs only. I have overloaded some of my trucks and never encountered sheared studs, cracked wheels, or damaged wheel bearings. Steve.
Attachments
wc52aa.jpg
wc52aa.jpg (316.13 KiB) Viewed 4753 times
redtruck11.jpg
redtruck11.jpg (400.14 KiB) Viewed 4753 times
m37a.jpg
m37a.jpg (335.39 KiB) Viewed 4753 times
M37

Post by M37 »