US Army truck

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Joseki
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1929

US Army truck

Post by Joseki »

Hey Guys,

Working on a 1929. Bought it off a farm. It was rattlecan Red with a farm logo on it. The tires are stamped US Army and I was originally thinking they were surplus or something. Found green paint under the red and what I think are AK47 bullets embedded in the door. Any ideas on how I can figure out if this truck was in WWII?

This is turning into an interesting project.

And thanks for the help:)
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: US Army truck

Post by spectria »

Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like a great project!

Would be very surprised if AK bullets were stopped by a door, or 2 or 4... or an engine block... lol
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

Most 1929 Ford trucks had a green body. Unfortunately many old trucks parked behind the barn ended up with bullet holes from morons who did not appreciate them. The US army did not use trucks over 10 years old in the '40s. The Russians used their version of AA trucks in ww2 but I don't think you have one of those. One more thing: Comrade Kalashnikov invented the AK-47 in: 1947.
Please put more info about yourself in your profile. A name & location is a good start.
Joseki

Post by Joseki »

Hey thanks for the response.

Appreciate the info about the truck. I doubt I have a Russian one as well.

Any idea about the tires? Are they all stamped US army?

If I can figure out how to post a pic I will do that.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Do the tires look like these?
http://forums.aa-fords.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4827
moto_0645 crop.jpg
moto_0645 crop.jpg (134.63 KiB) Viewed 6241 times
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
M37
Body Type: dump

Post by M37 »

Those tires look vaguely familiar. All military trucks had nomenclature plates, usually on the right side dash area. It usually listed the model, weights, transmission shift pattern, sometimes the oil weights for temperature etc. If the plates were brass and got robbed, there would be about 1/8" holes for rivets in a square pattern where they were. Those pics of the military tires in the previous post were only used on combat vehicles. A truck used around a base would get civilian tires as the combat ones were in short supply. Even some of the 1/4 ton trucks (later called jeeps) didn't have combat tires if used on base.
Brady
Body Type: None
Model Year: 1930

Post by Brady »

Those in the photos are referred to as N D T (non directional tread)
Joseki

Post by Joseki »

Ok think I figured this out. Hope this helps.

And thanks again for the knowledge

~~Jo
M37
Body Type: dump

Post by M37 »

If the only proof you have is the tires, they were probably just used from a military vehicle as the size was close. If you look up a WWII GMC 1.5 ton truck (G506), it used 7.50 x 20 tires.

The G506 was built on chassis with three wheelbases, 125 in (318 cm) extra short wheelbase (XSWB) used only on the G7128 Bomb servicer, 145 in (368 cm) short wheelbase (SWB), and the 175 in (444 cm) long wheelbase (LWB). All models had 7.50-20” tires and dual rear tires.[4][5]
Joseki

Post by Joseki »

M37 wrote:If the only proof you have is the tires, they were probably just used from a military vehicle as the size was close. If you look up a WWII GMC 1.5 ton truck (G506), it used 7.50 x 20 tires.

The G506 was built on chassis with three wheelbases, 125 in (318 cm) extra short wheelbase (XSWB) used only on the G7128 Bomb servicer, 145 in (368 cm) short wheelbase (SWB), and the 175 in (444 cm) long wheelbase (LWB). All models had 7.50-20” tires and dual rear tires.[4][5]

Hey Partner,

Thanks for the info. That makes more sense to me. I looked for the mounting holes you talked about for the brass plate and they are not there. So its definitely not an army truck. So the guy probably picked up the tires from a Military surplus store. I had kind of thought that was the case until I found that green paint. Calling these aftermarket tires would also explain the smaller tires in the front. (?)
I am just guessing (as I do not know) That a military vehicle would have all the same size tires?

I am kind of relieved its not a Military truck. I would really prefer to paint it black, and if it was really a war truck I think I would have had to restore the old paint and markings.

Thanks again for the help!