Brake Issues

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Greg Liekweg
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1931

Brake Issues

Post by Greg Liekweg »

30 AA Brake drums, brakes all look good, and have been adjusted. Drove it for over 250 miles ( 20 to 30 miles at a time) with no problems. Then the brakes started to grab and lock up. I t wasn't to bad at first, but it just keeps getting worse every time I drive it. To the point that I have to come to a stop before it release. :?:
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Re: Brake Issues

Post by ModelAkid »

First determine if the problem is inside or outside the drum. When a drum is seized, disconnect the brake rod and see if the shoes retract. Which wheels are locking up? If the rear only, check for gear oil on the shoes. Another thing is, make sure the brake rods, cross shaft, and all the other parts are moving freely and have spring tension on all rods to pull them back to fully disengaged "at rest" position.
captain marty
Body Type: firetruck
Model Year: 1928

Post by captain marty »

Kinda sounds like one of more of the brake linings came off the shoe(s) and rolled up inside your drum.
I'd think about removing the front drums and have a look.
I've never seen this but have read about it happening.
Marty
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

Jack it up and rotate each drum to see if you can hear or feel something out of the ordinary. Open it up and investigate. Maybe you had one or more of your brake shoe springs break.
Dave
------------
Dave