Spare tire mount

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Joseki
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1929

Spare tire mount

Post by Joseki »

Hey guys. This started on the Buy and Sell forum and its gotten quite interesting. I'm starting it here as I would like to continue to explore this issue.
Neil Wilson wrote:Joseki,
I assume that when you indicate "finish the drawing" that you mean to add in more dimensions?

The MS Visio drawing program is only two dimensional and the file type I use is .vsd. The shop you reference likely has the ability to work with drawing files with some type of suffix. So, check with Jemelco Inc. to find out what type of files they can work with. If they don't work with .vsd files then I can save the files with other types (.dwg and .dxf are two types).

I could email them a file. This would mean that they could determine any measurement they wanted. I also have a number is .jpg (pictures) of this carrier. Between the file and the pictures, an accurate carrier could likely be made. Maybe they can made a plastic 3d of the parts and those could be checked out on a real live express body to verify correctness prior to making the part.

Keep in mind that my drawings are based on my personal measurement of the original parts. While I try to be as accurate as possible, the dimensions may not be exactly like original. My drawings were not meant to be for reproduction purposes.
Ok Neil. We could just quarter round the bracket that the screws mount too. By Quarter round I mean the edge of a quarter would cover each of the corners. Spacing the screws to mount the tire too is a little more complicated.

I am relatively new to this AA stuff. So I am unsure of the measurements. As I posted on another thread I have two different sets of tires. Think I put a pic up. And I am unsure if I have standard rims or not. I've found a lot of weird stuff on my project. If you can provide a correct measurement I think we could accomplish a quote to produce the part. If need be I will take better pics of my rims and you can see what you think.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Spare tire mount

Post by Neil Wilson »

Did you check with the shop to determine if they can use a computer file??????????

It must be that you are talking about the triangular shaped wheel mounting flange of the body mounted 89-A wheel carrier. Is that correct?

Any AA hub (front or rear) can be used to get the exact dimensions needed to determine the center of each of the three wheel studs on this mounting flange (i.e. the AA wheel bolts to a hub and bolts to the carrier wheel mounting flange).

The flange is 6.1562" wide and 8.375" high (in the drawing). The three rounded corners have a 1". radius.
Attachments
Carrier Side Inst 2q8.jpg
Carrier Side Inst 2q8.jpg (147.85 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

Neil Wilson wrote:Did you check with the shop to determine if they can use a computer file??????????

It must be that you are talking about the triangular shaped wheel mounting flange of the body mounted 89-A wheel carrier. Is that correct?

Any AA hub (front or rear) can be used to get the exact dimensions needed to determine the center of each of the three wheel studs on this mounting flange (i.e. the AA wheel bolts to a hub and bolts to the carrier wheel mounting flange).

The flange is 6.1562" wide and 8.375" high (in the drawing). The three rounded corners have a 1". radius.
Neil, the work you do to create these drawings is just plain amazing... Thank You...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Joseki

Post by Joseki »

Ok checked with the shop. Drat I should have written this down, the cad guy they have is old so he can't use a vsd. I think he said he needed a dwf.

I really should have written that down. But its do-able. Couldn't shake a quote out of them till they have something to look at.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

89-A Express Wheel Carrier

Post by Neil Wilson »

The MS Visio program allows files to be saved as .dwg (autoCAD drawing) and .dxf (autoCAD interchange).

You can recheck with the "cad guy" regarding these possible file formats. If either can be used, then I can put together a file containing the carrier drawing (with or without the dimensions). It would be best that I communicate directly with the "cad guy". So, also get his email address. I should be able to email the CAD file, a JPEG of the drawing, and photos of a real carrier.

Few use MS Visio. It is more of a computer programming tool for doing flow charts. I used MS Visio at work (years ago) and discovered I could use this program for the two dimensional drawings. This was before I had a digital camera. The camera has become my tool of choice for my current documentation rather than drawings. Pictures with overlays is much easier. Most engineers would use autoCAD programs.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Joseki

Re: 89-A Express Wheel Carrier

Post by Joseki »

Neil Wilson wrote:The MS Visio program allows files to be saved as .dwg (autoCAD drawing) and .dxf (autoCAD interchange).

You can recheck with the "cad guy" regarding these possible file formats. If either can be used, then I can put together a file containing the carrier drawing (with or without the dimensions). It would be best that I communicate directly with the "cad guy". So, also get his email address. I should be able to email the CAD file, a JPEG of the drawing, and photos of a real carrier.

Few use MS Visio. It is more of a computer programming tool for doing flow charts. I used MS Visio at work (years ago) and discovered I could use this program for the two dimensional drawings. This was before I had a digital camera. The camera has become my tool of choice for my current documentation rather than drawings. Pictures with overlays is much easier. Most engineers would use autoCAD programs.
Both are good and if you have them scaled that's even better. I will send you his address. I don't want to post it.