Fuel Filter

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
captain marty
Body Type: firetruck
Model Year: 1928

Fuel Filter

Post by captain marty »

I’ve tried installing an inline fuel filter on the tube coming from the sediment bowl a couple of times with poor results. Seems the gas doesn’t run through the filter quick enough and the truck runs rough. The filter is about 1.5 diameter X 1.5 length. Anybody ever used a filter like this with better results than I’ve had, or is there something else I should look at. If so what type or brand.

Thanks,
Marty
spdway1

Re: Fuel Filter

Post by spdway1 »

ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by ModelAkid »

I see that filter is for the glass sediment bowl/filter, not the original cast iron sediment bowl/filter. I've always gotten by with the 2 filters Ford supplied: the cast iron one on the firewall and the one in the carb . Why do you need a third filter? When I had dirty gas tank problems I got the little screen that goes on the tank outlet.
RustydoubleA
Body Type: express
Model Year: 1930

Post by RustydoubleA »

Hi, I have tried the inline paper filters, as well as several members in my local Model A chapter. Sometimes they will work, for a while, and then have a reduced flow. Gravity feed does not work with those inline filters,I think that the paper gets saturated and swells. If your sediment bulb is put together properly then you should not have a problem. You could put on a late 31 sidebowl carb and its unique sediment bulb, that bulb will also work with a B carb, then you would have the firewall filter as well as the carb filter, if you want overkill on filters. Steve.
elfox
Body Type: 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by elfox »

The finer-filtering filters will not work on gravity-fed fuel systems as they restrict the flow too much. I have run into this problem a couple times in the past with garden tractors. I've used filters rated at 150 microns or more in the past, and they seem to work fine.
Dave
Port Orchard, WA