fuel system

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
RustydoubleA
Body Type: express
Model Year: 1930

fuel system

Post by RustydoubleA »

Model As and AA trucks vibrate like crazy, and this vibration loosens debris inside the fuel tank. Fuel tank shut of valves have only a 1/4" opening, and larger pieces of sediment in the tank will not go through the valve or will get stuck at the 90 degree part of the valve. Those filters that slip on the inside part of the fuel valve do not work in the long run because the debris stays inside the tank and clogs the filter up over and over again. I want the debris out of the tank and become caught in the sediment bulb, so I upgraded my fuel systems by replacing the fuel tank valve with a 1/4" ball valve, 1/4" fittings and drilling out the inlet of the sediment bulb to 19/64". This way the large debris will pass out of the tank, through the valve, through the inlet of the sediment bulb and hopefully stay inside the bulb. Some 1/4" ball valves have only a 1/4" opening, but get the ones with the larger 9/32" opening. The flare on the 3/8" tubing is large enough to seal on the enlarged sediment bulb inlet hole. Also, unlike the packing gland on the fuel cocks that are prone to leaking, ball valves seal very well. Passengers do not care to smell gasoline inside the cab! It is easy to put everything back to stock when the tank is cleared of the heavy debris, but I never convert them back to stock. Attached are some pictures. Steve.
Attachments
gt3.jpg
gt3.jpg (177.04 KiB) Viewed 2661 times
gt2.jpg
gt2.jpg (205.89 KiB) Viewed 2661 times
gt1.jpg
gt1.jpg (255.13 KiB) Viewed 2661 times
RustydoubleA
Body Type: express
Model Year: 1930

Re: fuel system

Post by RustydoubleA »

To evacuate an empty tank of loose debris while it is still in the cab, I made up a hose with an air gun blowing though a hole in the hose near the discharge end, this creates a safe vacuum to pull stuff from the tank. Do not use this devise near electric motors, pilot lights, or inside a garage. Steve.
Attachments
gt4.jpg
gt4.jpg (339.22 KiB) Viewed 2660 times
elfox
Body Type: 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: fuel system

Post by elfox »

I would still be concerned that you might generate a spark, as the air rushing through the inside of the house can still generate static electricity on the surface of the hose!
Dave
Port Orchard, WA