Floor boards

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Randy
Body Type: AA 1 1/2 ton
Model Year: 1928

Floor boards

Post by Randy »

Is there anywhere I can find dimensions/blueprints for the wooden floorboards. I would like to make new ones. I have a 1928 Model A truck. Randy
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Floor boards

Post by 1crosscut »

Hello Randy - here is a link to a thread in regards to some floor boards I made for my early 29. These would be correct for your 28. Take a look and if it is what you are looking for I can send you some templates for you to use.
Dave
http://forums.aa-fords.com/viewtopic.ph ... =dove+tail
------------
Dave
gunmetal 2

Post by gunmetal 2 »

E-mail me at 1929oldlady@gmail.com and I will e-mail you the bottom one. Files to big.
Attachments
Top Floor Board.jpg
Top Floor Board.jpg (372.2 KiB) Viewed 6888 times
Randy
Body Type: AA 1 1/2 ton

Post by Randy »

Thanks Guys for all the input. The drawing that 1929 sent me looks like the floor in my truck. I appreciate all the help.
Randy
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

I've been trying to make a jig to cut the dove tail to make boards for the floor boards. I was trying to make the jig out of wood and that isn't working out to well. It will be maybe next week before I can post pictures of the jig that I'm planning on making. I'll make this one out angle iron, mostly using 1" X 1" X 1/8" angle iron. I'm think of bolting it together instead of welding. More later on jig for making boards to make the floor boards. :D Also I came to the conclusion for the floor boards are less than 3/4". After dovetailing the boards together they were sanded smooth on one or both sides. :) Shelby, Louisiana.
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

Shelby - I don't think you necessarly need a jig to cut the dove tails. I made mine on a small router table. Making the female part of the joint isn't terribly hard you just need to make sure the the bit is perfectly centered in your piece of wood. The male is much more challenging. The same bit is used for the male cut that was used for the female cut. Make a single cut on each side of the board to make the male. The hard part is getting the male to be the correct width, depth and perfectly centered.
Your right that the boards are not 3/4". Not sure but I believe they are 11/16" but if you like I can take a mesurement off mine and let you know.
Make all of the female joints first and then re-set and make all of the males. If a person was to start making these for others having a router table dedicated to cut each joint would be the way to go.
Dave
------------
Dave
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

You are right Dave, I'm only going to make 1 or 2 sets anyway. It'll take hours to build a jig. In that time I could have all the boards cut and put together, Thanks :D Shelby, Louisiana.
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

I made a front upper floorboard which turned out pretty good. I made 3 mess ups which will be covered. 1- I drilled the accelerator peddle hole in the wrong location (plugged hole and redrilled). 2- Also that through the indenture on the bottom side in the wrong location. 3- When I cut the angle @ 34.4 degrees I let my board drift away from the guide. The board has to stand on its edge to cut that angle on a table saw I made this floor out of pine I bought in Sacramento last year.I drilled the 2 holes by the clutch peddle 1/8" about 3" deep, then drilled out to 3/8" about 1/2" deep for the dial pin to be glued in. Also I there is a seal to fit around the accelerator hole and pedal, I have never seen a seal on a froor board before. I have 2 tacks by the hole on my original floor board :?: :!: Shelby, Louisiana.
In the bottom picture one tack is above the excel. hole the other is to the left :roll:
Attachments
013.JPG
013.JPG (138.02 KiB) Viewed 6458 times
011.JPG
011.JPG (137.44 KiB) Viewed 6473 times
015.JPG
015.JPG (136.88 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
Last edited by SHELBY MESSER on December 19th, 2014, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

This is showing the screws the other pix is showing the 2 tacks.
Attachments
012.JPG
012.JPG (136.22 KiB) Viewed 6458 times
010.JPG
010.JPG (136.1 KiB) Viewed 6458 times
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

Nice effort!
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
TruckMan
Body Type: Garwood Dump

Post by TruckMan »

You know, it is nice to have a "perfect" truck but I think it is even more fun when you make some of the parts yourself. For me, I look at a part on the truck that I made back in the 70's or 80's and it puts a smile on my face.
TruckMan