29 AA stakebed

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Mr. Pickett
Model Year: 1930

29 AA stakebed

Post by Mr. Pickett »

I have a 29 with single wheels, do I need different running gear to run duals?
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B

Re: 29 AA stakebed

Post by mikeg »

Mr. Pickett wrote:I have a 29 with single wheels, do I need different running gear to run duals?
I'm not familiar with the 28/29 trucks, but with the 30/31's you don't really need to do anything special except make sure you have the correct tire size for duals. 600:20 or 650:20

There are others in this forum that have 29's and they will know more about the earlier trucks than I.

Also, you may want to become a member of the FMAATC, $4 per year and there is a newsletter. http://www.fmaatc.org/
Tim Mc

29's

Post by Tim Mc »

If you have the early worm drive rear end, there are two options for wheels, one being a spoked wheel like the regular A, but heavier, and the other being the steel disc wheel. The steels disc wheels have 6 cutouts in them and are rather flatish in the center.

About mid year in 1929, ford changed to a bevel gear rear end, and budd style wheels all at the same time. From what I understand all bevel gear rears had budd wheels, either single or dual.

If your AA has a worm rear (easily spotted by looking... if the rear end has a square plate at the top of the assembly in the center with 4 bolts, then it's a worm style) as I understand it you can't change to duals. However if you change the entire worm rear to a bevel, which is fairly easy except for modifying the brake rods then duals aren't a problem.

Tim McCormack
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

The 28 and 29 AAs had the worm drive rear axle (except for an ocational rare bevel gear). Both of these axles use the same rear wheel hubs which are designed for either the steel spoke wheel (standard through 2/29) or the six spoke, concave disk wheel (standard through 12/29). These two wheel styles can not be used as duals.

Starting 1/30 AAs used a bevel gear rear axle with a five spoke, convex disk wheel. This wheel could be mounted face to face for rear dual wheel applications.

The 30/31 rear axle can be installed in a 28/29 AA. This allows the 30/31 wheel to be used as duals. The front wheels however would need to be the 28/29 style since the 30/31 wheels will not correctly fit the 28/29 front hubs.
Regards, Neil Wilson