front axle i.d.

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
russ
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1930

front axle i.d.

Post by russ »

Lil' help please. The '30-'31 axle was a heavier duty unit than the earlier years. What quick and dirty method of identifying a stripped '30-'31 axle can I use to
make sure I purchase the right one.

I'm eager to get access to all my books and green bible and judging standards and such but till then I can sure use the assist.

Many thanks in advance.

Best, Russ
Everybody likes pics.
BrianT
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Re: front axle i.d.

Post by BrianT »

Hello Russ.
Good to see you back, and that all you have done since you were here last as worked out for the best.
Do you have one of the kingpins from your original axle?, if so take it with you, the axle takes the larger size pin it will also show if there is excess play in the eyelet, the 28-29 axle king pins were a lot smaller.
Regards Brian.
russ

Post by russ »

Excellent suggestion Brian. Unfortunately my spare kingpins are with the truck so I can't check it that way.

I imagine there is an obvious dimension difference or two between the early and late axles that I can check quickly with a tape measure to be sure i'm picking up the right axle. I've just got to find out what those differences are. If I remember correctly, one difference was the thickness of the axle front to back.

The worn kingpin holes are a concern though. I always figured since the kingpin doesn't rotate and is locked in place with the tapered pin, no harm could come to the bore. Sounds like perhaps I thought wrong on that.

At any rate I've contacted Jason the seller and he has quoted me a very reasonable price for the axle so I suppose if it doesn't work out, not much harm done.

Bonus is I get to meet another AA enthusiast. :)

Best, Russ
Everybody likes pics.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

Also bring a long piece of string. Thread the string between the kingpin holes and draw it tight. Should go right down the middle of the top of the axle. If it doesn't then the axle is twisted and not much good. Will also check to see if its bent outward from someone pulling the truck by it.
russ

Post by russ »

Thank you for that, Stakebed. Will do.
Towing from the axle is why I had to change out the first one. It had been done in pretty badly that way.
I'm surprised the radius rods and bell housings survive these assaults. Likely some don't.

Best, Russ
Everybody likes pics.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

The Model A axle looks to be 2 1/4" wide where the perch bolts
go through and the AA is 2 5/8".

Bob
russ

Post by russ »

Excellent. I'm probably in good shape now with what you'all have provided for me.

Thank you Bob.

Best, Russ
Everybody likes pics.