1928 rear ratio

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

1928 rear ratio

Post by KimVanOrder »

Was the '28 AA available with both the low and high speed worm drive rear end? I have a low speed in the truck now and want to know if it is "proper" to put in the higher speed ratio.

Thanks in advance for your input.

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: 1928 rear ratio

Post by 1crosscut »

I belive that the very early 28's came with high speed gears only. Later in 28 they came out with the low speed as an option. So yes you would be fine putting a high speed in.
Maybe I have it all assbackwards. Either way you can put high speed gears into the low speed rear end and no one would ever be able to tell unless they decide to race you. :shock:
------------
Dave
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

1crosscut wrote:I belive that the very early 28's came with high speed gears only. Later in 28 they came out with the low speed as an option. So yes you would be fine putting a high speed in.
Maybe I have it all assbackwards. Either way you can put high speed gears into the low speed rear end and no one would ever be able to tell unless they decide to race you. :shock:

Yup. I know, found out that the parts will fit, and that no one would know, but I want to have is as original as possible. Just as it would have come, or could have come from the
factory. I should look for a housing with the proper "B" stamped on it, but that will come latter. Thanks for your input. I'm still looking for more.

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

The earliest rear ends did not have a letter stamped on the differential. Only after the low speed came out as an option did they start stamping them with A's and B's. If you find a high speed rear end without a stamping it would not technically be correct for your truck either.
Good luck on your search.
------------
Dave
Brady
Body Type: None
Model Year: 1930

Post by Brady »

Crosscut: I have an AA worm drive that has "TT" embossed on the left housing. Neil says these are early '28. and have the TT gear ratio.
1wonton
Body Type: Express

Post by 1wonton »

The early (high speed) rear axles have no emergency brake levers.
flatford39
Body Type: Express

Post by flatford39 »

1wonton wrote:The early (high speed) rear axles have no emergency brake levers.
That's good to know as mine doesn't have any markings and doesn't have emergency brakes either. Mine is a left hand service brake truck also.
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

1wonton wrote:The early (high speed) rear axles have no emergency brake levers.
Yes the early worm drives do not have emergency brakes. But they do have what many call an emergency brake handle. The handle is located on the left side of the driver and operate the service brakes thus it is a "service brake handle". Late in 28 ford added separate rear emergency brake shoes (government mandate) and moved the handle to the right of the driver so that the trucks had emergency brakes not tied to the service brakes. My truck is a January 29 and still has the service brake handle to the left. It is most likely one that was in the last batch of trucks produced that still had the handle on the left and no emergency brakes.

Dave
------------
Dave
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Brady,
All worm drive AA axles have gear ratios which were the same ratios as the TT. The first AA trucks only had the high speed gears along with the optional underdrive (Dual Drive or Dual High as it was names).
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by KimVanOrder »

Well. Thanks for all the info. My truck is a Dec. 28. Has the Left hand "service brake", no seperate brake shoes. Wire spoke wheels, and the small frt. King pins.

So My understanding then is It was ordered with the optional Low speed rear end stamped with an "A". Putting in the higher speed, gears would be correct except for the ("A") stamped on the housing. ( B = high speed, correct?)

Then there is the Lincoln transmision issue. ( I have one that was bolted dirrectly to the front of the extra rear axle Grampa had laying in the river bottoms). Was that an aftermarket Item that could be purchased at that time? May have even been avalible for Model Ts.

Do I have this all correct as far as ratio and stamps.

And any info on the Lincoln Under / Overdrive would be appeciated.

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

KimVanOrder wrote:Well. Thanks for all the info. My truck is a Dec. 28. Has the Left hand "service brake", no seperate brake shoes. Wire spoke wheels, and the small frt. King pins.

So My understanding then is It was ordered with the optional Low speed rear end stamped with an "A". Putting in the higher speed, gears would be correct except for the ("A") stamped on the housing. ( B = high speed, correct?)

Then there is the Lincoln transmision issue. ( I have one that was bolted dirrectly to the front of the extra rear axle Grampa had laying in the river bottoms). Was that an aftermarket Item that could be purchased at that time? May have even been avalible for Model Ts.

Do I have this all correct as far as ratio and stamps.

And any info on the Lincoln Under / Overdrive would be appeciated.

KVO
You have it correct on the stampings and ratios. If I were you I wouldn't loose any sleep over "correctness" by switching to internal high speed gears. Mine was switched from low speed gears to high speed gears before I found it. I haven't lost any sleep over that myself.

Sorry that I have no information on the Lincoln transmission even though I live in "Lincoln".
Dave
------------
Dave
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

Thank you Neil for the reply, but I still don't understand all I know about it... I can't be the only one that has an AA worm drive marked TT ...? Have a great new year.
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by ModelAkid »

The left hand brake lever should probably more properly be referred to as a "parking brake", since it engaged the same brake shoes as the foot pedal brakes but it locked the brakes on when the vehicle was stopped or parked.
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

ModelAkid wrote:The left hand brake lever should probably more properly be referred to as a "parking brake", since it engaged the same brake shoes as the foot pedal brakes but it locked the brakes on when the vehicle was stopped or parked.

Thanks to all. The gears will get changed. And you are correct on the "Name of the Parking brake". The auto industry nolonger uses the name "Emergency" brake for legal reason. Liability and such.

I do like the handle on the Left so when you get out your knee nocks the release on it. :shock: I thought I had it on... :lol: :oops:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Although some States objected to the Model A's early brake system, Pennsylvania would not allow any A's to be licensed because they did not meet with their newly enacted inspection law. The law required independent operating emergency brakes. Ford decided to revise the system and in late February or early March 1928 put the new system into production in the plants that supplied the State of Pennsylvania (Kearny, NJ and Pittsburgh, PA). By mid June, all other plants were installing the new system on cars and light trucks with the heavy trucks getting changed later in the year. Just a little bit of History.

Keith