Exhaust manifold heater

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
1oldman57
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Exhaust manifold heater

Post by 1oldman57 »

I would like to hook up an exhaust manifold heater, but the manifold I have doesn't have the same size as a auto-lite or similar heater. The one I have the bolt holes are 10 1/2 inches apart while the others are 7 inches. The whole waffle on top of the manifold is 14 inches in length. Does anyone recognize the manifold I have? Picture attached.
Attachments
Ford AA manifold heater.JPG
Ford AA manifold heater.JPG (213.63 KiB) Viewed 3112 times
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Re: Exhaust manifold heater

Post by Stakebed »

Hmm different and cant say ive seen one like it before...If i remember right there's over 50 different aftermarket heaters meant to fit the model A...
RustydoubleA
Body Type: express
Model Year: 1930

Post by RustydoubleA »

Hi, make one out of 1/8" flat stock. I made one for my late 31 coupe with a Miller overhead valve conversion. The outlet had to be routed towards the center of the firewall two inches in order to not interfere with the fuel valve indentation, but as low as possible. I used rectangular tubing and cut out one edge, made a funnel on the inlet and welded a piece of pipe for the outlet. I also made my own door, I put a large lever on the door so I could swing it with my foot. Then someday you may find the correct one at a swap meet. This heater works GREAT!!!! I have the waffle Autolite heaters in four of my trucks, and I love driving them when it is cold outside. Make sure you have a good seal on the muffler to manifold flange. Aries Mufflers have the correct wall thickness, tube diameter, and flange width. Not only do they seal real nicely, they give you a couple more horsepower. Steve.
Attachments
heater3.jpg
heater3.jpg (217.89 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
heater2.jpg
heater2.jpg (220.56 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
heater1.jpg
heater1.jpg (300.09 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
1oldman57
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1oldman57 »

Thanks Steve for the information. Maybe I can modify the one I have to fit my manifold by cutting and welding to fit.

Tim Hynes