4 speed floor mat

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
RustydoubleA
Body Type: express
Model Year: 1930

4 speed floor mat

Post by RustydoubleA »

Can someone post a picture of the correct way that the floor mat interfaces with the metal plate around the shifter hole? Also attached is a photo of my foot rest base plate having a full circle flange and four screws, is this a Ford item? Thanks Steve.
Attachments
shifteplate.jpg
shifteplate.jpg (328.8 KiB) Viewed 8568 times
footrest.jpg
footrest.jpg (333.88 KiB) Viewed 8568 times
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: 4 speed floor mat

Post by Bob C »

I've never seen a totally round one like that but the 1932
parts book shows it that way, part number A-9770.

Bob
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

Your question is timely!
I just recieved a Model A mat to use in my AA and I have the same trans plate as you.
I was wondering if some one has made a template of the mat used in AAs with the four speed tower.
I will probably remove the floor plate and make a cut out to clear the oblong raised prtion of the floor plate so the mat will lay flat, as I suspect it will pucker up if laid on top.
Ford Truck Nut
Model Year: 1928

Post by Ford Truck Nut »

the totally round ones were early 28
"Bear Down, try Hard, and never quit, NEVER"
Tuff Headman
stew
Body Type: dump

Post by stew »

In regards to the floor mat, I was looking through the Ford Service Bulletins book, and on bulletin page 534 (book page 260) January 1931, there is a notice for the dump body floor mat. There is an illustration that shows the mat with the shift tower and handbrake hole similar to the car floor mat, not a large opening for the shift plate cover to stick thru. In my 31 truck, the mat just lays over the metal floor plate. In fine point judging at the 2012 Oshkosh meet, there was nothing said regarding the way I had my floor mat installed, nor were any points deducted for it. Neil Wilson would probably know for sure, but if it were me, I'd wait before I cut a big hole in it. The mats are expensive.
Always one bad decision away from a good time.
Farrell In Vancouver

Well I spent a couple hours trying to transfer that plate measurements to the new mat and stopped before I cut it. It seems the center of the shift tower is a couple inches closer to the seat riser than the Model A mats design. As such, if I cut it, to fit, it will leave a gap on the fire-wall side of the tower and E-brake lever. This would be a waste of a mat. So I have decided to find a piece of rubber to custom cut to fit the floor and accomodate the levers/tower. It won't be as pretty, and it will save the mat for a Model A pick up, and I have no intentions of showing the beast anyway.
stew

Post by stew »

I used the regular rubber mat that the vendors sell. For my 31 I just cut the shift tower hole bigger, and had to re-cut the hole for the handbrake. Otherwise, it fit fine, check it again, maybe you still can use it.
Farrell In Vancouver

Stew, you have a picture of how it turned out?
RustydoubleA

Post by RustydoubleA »

Attached is a picture of my late 1930 1 ton express that I put together last year. At that time I chose to put insulation under the mat and cut a large cutout in the mat that exposes the raised area of the cover plate. I also cut a small section of insulation and placed it underneath the shifter plate to keep out air from entering. It is easy to take this mat out to access battery etc. I am thinking of a current late 1930 flatbed truck to place the insulation under the mat and just make the shifter and parking handle holes a little bigger in the mat. The insulation underneath would raise the mat nearly even with the raised area of the plate and would not pucker up the mat. As you can see I also placed insulation across the firewall, it is a lot cheaper than the ABS firewall insulators. The aluminum foil will hold paint without pealing. Insulation is GREAT in the summertime to reduce the heat and makes the cab VERY quiet. I glue it to the inside of the door skins, the cowls, and behind the seat. The doors suddenly become solid sounding when you close them, it impresses even street rodders! Steve.
Attachments
floormat1.jpg
floormat1.jpg (296.35 KiB) Viewed 8387 times
Reds34

Post by Reds34 »

Steve,

What did you do with those pedals?

Red
RustydoubleA

Post by RustydoubleA »

Those pedals! I extended and dog legged them around the column. On this truck I installed regular Model A axles (3.78 to 1 ratio) and extended the driveshaft, installed the 28 underdrive (small pedals on the floor) with 40s hydraulic brakes on the axles. The extended brake pedals help apply proper lever to the master cylinder as was on the 40s cars. Raising the pedals also placed the pedals higher and in line with the ergonomics of my leg action, similar to modern cars. Eight years ago I broke my right heal bone, it never healed properly and I could no longer hit the starter pedal, so I extended the starter rod about an inch on all of my Model As. The face of the brake pedal was worn so I "studded" them so my boots won't slip when they are wet. The truck weighs 2900# with the small axles and wheels. The truck may not be totally "stock", but it is nearly all Model A! Steve.
Attachments
aaex.jpg
aaex.jpg (312.32 KiB) Viewed 8368 times
stew

Post by stew »

Farrell In Vancouver wrote:Stew, you have a picture of how it turned out?
I'll try to see about getting a picture posted. I'm technologically challenged when it comes to these things. On the reproduction mat I had, the shifter tower hole was cut for the standard 3 speed transmission. Around the hole, was a flat area maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch wide, all around the hole, then a small raised lip that separates that from the 'starburst' pattern of the floor mat. I cut the shift tower hole to just inside of that lip, taking out the flat portion. I had to measure a bit, and re-cut a new hole for the hand brake, as it is farther to the right. Part of the original hand brake hole is still there, so its not perfect, but the mat lays smoothly across the floor plate, you really don't notice the raise in the floor at all, I am quite satisfied with the results. You can try it this way, and if you don't care for it, you can always make the hole bigger and expose the plate if you want. I think Brattons made a run of floor mats a year or so ago for AA truck guys. I understand they were going to be the same as the 'A' mat, but without the hand brake hole cut in them. This was after I had already cut mine to fit, and decided not to spend the extra coin for another mat. I'll try and get my wife, the computer whiz to show me how to post photos so I can get the mat here, and also a couple shots of my truck.

Good Luck!

Stew
RustydoubleA

Post by RustydoubleA »

Hi, attached is a picture of a small Model A pickup with a 4 speed that I put together several years ago. At that time I did not know what to do with the shifter floor plate so I did not install one. This is a mat with the holes modified to fit the levers. Also there is insulation underneath the mat. I have noticed that no two trucks are the same with respect to how the mat holes line up with the levers. Three AAs and four small As all having 4 speeds. Steve
Attachments
floormat3.jpg
floormat3.jpg (281.24 KiB) Viewed 8337 times
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

There is information in this link about Bratton's and Snyder's making floor
mats with no cutouts. http://forums.aa-fords.com/viewtopic.ph ... =floor+mat

Bob
Farrell In Vancouver

Well I didn't want to hack up the new mat so I'll save it for Dad's 30 P/U.
I found some old conveyer belting with a good rubber side and went to work with a couple up box cutter blades and copied a paper template. It turned out fairly good and is heavy duty for sure. I don't think I'll need a new one for at leat another 84 years. I cut to fit around the trans plate so it lays nice and flat.
Attachments
P2211365.JPG
P2211365.JPG (93.08 KiB) Viewed 8192 times
P2211360.JPG
P2211360.JPG (101.36 KiB) Viewed 8192 times