What is the curb weight of my new truck?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Buyitsmart
Model Year: 1931

What is the curb weight of my new truck?

Post by Buyitsmart »

Can someone tell me the curb weight of this vehicle?
1931 AA with 131-1/2 wheelbase and stake bed
1931 AA with 131-1/2 wheelbase and stake bed
31 AA Red 2- R 1 side view.JPG (447.85 KiB) Viewed 6507 times
Thanks,
Ken
Ken in Central Florida / 1 Model A is good / 2 Model A's are better / 3 Model A's are normal
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck

Re: What is the curb weight of my new truck?

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

Truck owners book says "Weight Complete with dual Wheels 3,728 pounds" (less the racks).
RustydoubleA
Body Type: express
Model Year: 1930

Post by RustydoubleA »

Hi, the " Model A/AA Ford Truck Owner" book says on page 66 that a closed cab stakebed truck with dual wheels weighs 3,837# with the racks. It will weigh less without the racks and with single rear wheels if you need to weigh it for licencing. I personally had one weighed last month without a bed at all (except for a sheet of 3/8" plywood) and with only single wheels and it weighed 2,980#. The weight fees in Calif are tiered at every 1,000# and become pricey over 3,000#. In Calif there is an exemption CVC 9401a which gives exemptions to weight fees for 1936 and earlier commercial vehicles, but you need a weight certificate in order to classify it as a commercial vehicle in order to get the weight exemption. With the weight fee exempted plates you can still carry stuff in the back, but most CHP officers do not know the special rule so I carry a copy of the page of the California Vehicle Code that states the exemption (I have been stopped a couple of times now). Most DMV people are clueless to the exemption as well, so have the rule number at hand when registering. If you have HISTORICAL plates on your truck in CA and are stopped by a CHP with ANYTHING in the bed, you will be selling your truck to pay the fines! Steve.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

RustydoubleA wrote:Hi, the " Model A/AA Ford Truck Owner" book says on page 66 that a closed cab stakebed truck with dual wheels weighs 3,837# with the racks. It will weigh less without the racks and with single rear wheels if you need to weigh it for licencing. I personally had one weighed last month without a bed at all (except for a sheet of 3/8" plywood) and with only single wheels and it weighed 2,980#. The weight fees in Calif are tiered at every 1,000# and become pricey over 3,000#. In Calif there is an exemption CVC 9401a which gives exemptions to weight fees for 1936 and earlier commercial vehicles, but you need a weight certificate in order to classify it as a commercial vehicle in order to get the weight exemption. With the weight fee exempted plates you can still carry stuff in the back, but most CHP officers do not know the special rule so I carry a copy of the page of the California Vehicle Code that states the exemption (I have been stopped a couple of times now). Most DMV people are clueless to the exemption as well, so have the rule number at hand when registering. If you have HISTORICAL plates on your truck in CA and are stopped by a CHP with ANYTHING in the bed, you will be selling your truck to pay the fines! Steve.
Yeesh! and thats why california needs to break off into its own island :lol:

IL doesnt care as long as you pay them the $30 for a renewal sticker for antique plates and its good for 3 years! if its over 25 years old it can be an antique
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Stakebed wrote:
RustydoubleA wrote:Hi, the " Model A/AA Ford Truck Owner" book says on page 66 that a closed cab stakebed truck with dual wheels weighs 3,837# with the racks. It will weigh less without the racks and with single rear wheels if you need to weigh it for licencing. I personally had one weighed last month without a bed at all (except for a sheet of 3/8" plywood) and with only single wheels and it weighed 2,980#. The weight fees in Calif are tiered at every 1,000# and become pricey over 3,000#. In Calif there is an exemption CVC 9401a which gives exemptions to weight fees for 1936 and earlier commercial vehicles, but you need a weight certificate in order to classify it as a commercial vehicle in order to get the weight exemption. With the weight fee exempted plates you can still carry stuff in the back, but most CHP officers do not know the special rule so I carry a copy of the page of the California Vehicle Code that states the exemption (I have been stopped a couple of times now). Most DMV people are clueless to the exemption as well, so have the rule number at hand when registering. If you have HISTORICAL plates on your truck in CA and are stopped by a CHP with ANYTHING in the bed, you will be selling your truck to pay the fines! Steve.
Yeesh! and thats why california needs to break off into its own island :lol:

IL doesn't care as long as you pay them the $30 for a renewal sticker for antique plates and its good for 3 years! if its over 25 years old it can be an antique
There is a little latitude in CA for Hysterical Plates, you can carry the items used in the parade, like banners, hay bales, girl scouts, Old Ladies...etc...
You keep watching CA, some wackadoo's want to give CA 10 more senators...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Greg Liekweg
Body Type: AA

Post by Greg Liekweg »

My 31 AA Dump truck ( Dump box is not original but built to same size) weighs 4,500 lbs
Buyitsmart

Post by Buyitsmart »

Thanks to everyone for the info. I was able to put the truck on a new trailer I bought and carried it 1,400 miles from Oklahoma City to my home in Florida.
The trailer was rated at 7,000 lbs and I knew the truck and trailer together were less than that so I was ok.

Unfortunately the pin holding the ball to the hitch sheared in half and the trailer disconnected from the truck at 75 mph on the interstate.
Luckily we slowed down and pulled over safely and we were able to get a new pin and jack up the trailer with the trailer tongue jack and reconnect the trailer and drive home.

It was a heart racing nerve racking experience, but I love my new truck.
Buyitsmart

Post by Buyitsmart »

Thanks to everyone for the info. I was able to put the truck on a new trailer I bought and carried it 1,400 miles from Oklahoma City to my home in Florida.
The trailer was rated at 7,000 lbs and I knew the truck and trailer together were less than that so I was ok.

Unfortunately the pin holding the ball to the hitch sheared in half and the trailer disconnected from the truck at 75 mph on the interstate.
Luckily we slowed down and pulled over safely and we were able to get a new pin and jack up the trailer with the trailer tongue jack and reconnect the trailer and drive home.

It was a heart racing nerve racking experience, but I love my new truck.
31 AA home in Florida.
31 AA home in Florida.
IMG_20150202_125342_771-c.jpg (321.77 KiB) Viewed 6327 times
IMG_20150201_164900_818.jpg
IMG_20150201_164900_818.jpg (478.4 KiB) Viewed 6327 times
blgitn
Body Type: 275-A

Post by blgitn »

It's beautiful! I'm glad you all got home safely!
R/ Roger.