radiator backflushing apparatus

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
RustydoubleA
Body Type: express
Model Year: 1930

radiator backflushing apparatus

Post by RustydoubleA »

I spotted a device like this one at an auto mechanics business, so I copied one for myself. The original had a cone to push into the lower hose of the radiator, but I used a 1" to 1/2" bell reducer to insert into the lower hose and I placed a 45 elbow to angle it for easier connection. It is made up of 1/2" fittings. Just attach the water hose and air hose to the fittings, fill the radiator with water, shut off the water valve, then open the air for 5 seconds. The air will blast the water up through the tubes and may clear rust and debris inside the tubes. Do this for a couple dozen cycles. You could do this with the radiator in place, but it s better to take the radiator out. Some of the rust particles will rest on top of the upper tube sheet in the upper tank, so it is best to turn the radiator upside down from time to time. It would also be good to place a water hose down the engine water outlet neck to flush the rust out of the engine block (be sure and do this when putting on a new radiator, or you may well plug the new one too). When ever I take a head off, I look down the water jackets and check for mud and rust. Then I use a high pressure water washer and blast the water jackets for 30 min. This backflushing device may bring life back to your fouled radiator. Keep the radiator upright when flushing and lean the front against a fence or wall, the thrust of the air/water exiting the top inlet pipe will propel the radiator forward. You will get wet. Steve.
Attachments
backflush.jpg
backflush.jpg (206.34 KiB) Viewed 2043 times
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Re: radiator backflushing apparatus

Post by flatford39 »

Thanks. I am going to try that myself. It i so simple it will probably work.