California registration rule

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
TomH
Body Type: pickup
Model Year: 1928

Re: California registration rule

Post by TomH »

ModelAkid wrote: note: in 1932 Henry started stamping the frame VIN on the top left side just in front of the cowl where it is easily seen. In other words, just a bit forward of where Model A frame VINs are stamped.
I had to take the cab off my 32 AAB to find the VIN. It was in the same place as a 31.
Need rear fenders and running boards for 1932 131" single wheel Express Body
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by ModelAkid »

I had '33 and '34 Ford trucks and the VIN was in front of the cowl. I guess the location changed sometime between '31 and '33.
drtrcrV-8
Body Type: open
Model Year: 1928

Post by drtrcrV-8 »

Especially for those of you who live in CA ( or deal with the CA DMV), a suggestion: when dealing with a lower level DMV person who turns out to be an 'idiot' : ask to speak to their Supervisor, & if the Supervisor is also an 'idiot', keep going up the chain until you get to the Manager. By this time, as long as you've been polite & have ALL the available paperwork(including the appropriate DMV sections & codes) for the manager to refer to(if it gets that far 'up the chain'), you usually will be able to get any problems resolved in your favor, as they just want you to 'go away', as you've almost certainly guaranteed each of the lower levels at least some sort of 'unsatisfactory performance' rating for that day for being unable to handle the problem. There was a serious amount of attention devoted to this kind of problem over on "The HAMB", as we're not the only ones who deal with these issues!!!
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

Or simply do your DMV work at AAA. :-)
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by ModelAkid »

AAA is absolutely the best way to go, although they cannot do all DMV services, such as YOM plates. The AAA DMV services alone justify the annual membership fee. We have towing insurance with AAA and when our motorhome got 2 flat tires in the Middle of Nowhere on a Sunday afternoon, AAA sent a tire repair guy from a town 40 miles away with new tires and changed them on the side of the highway. They sent the tire repair guy because our motorhome is too big to "tow" on a flatbed truck. We only paid for the tires.
3 cheers for AAA!
RustydoubleA
Body Type: express

Post by RustydoubleA »

Hi, Can AAA verify the VIN numbers on the frame for DMV?
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

RustydoubleA wrote:Hi, Can AAA verify the VIN numbers on the frame for DMV?
Yes.......
oldtimetowing

Post by oldtimetowing »

FYI Not all AAA clubs or offices are created equal. Most AAA offices will do the basic DMV renewals and registrations changes but not old registrations and the verifying VIN numbers, they will refer you to a lien service or contractor.
JPB
Body Type: none, stakeside wtd
Model Year: 1929

Post by JPB »

California DMV can choose to order that you take it to CHP and no one else. (CHP Has dedicated officers, by appointment only, in some areas and is backed up a month in my area. They will no longer come to you.) If DMV leaves it up to you, you may use a Licensed VIN Verifier, which may be found at many car dealerships. My Ford dealer did my AA for no charge when I took it to him on a trailer. My DMV was quite uninformed and drug me through a knothole!
Bill.
Kanc
Body Type: wrecker
Model Year: 1929

Post by Kanc »

Although I do not live in CA currently, I will tell you about a trick I used in NJ. Get a small piece of brass, about 1 X 3 inches, and round off the corners. Using 1/4 inch letter/number punches, punch your engine number on the brass piece. Then pop rivet this item on the firewall. Paint it if you want.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Kanc wrote:Although I do not live in CA currently, I will tell you about a trick I used in NJ. Get a small piece of brass, about 1 X 3 inches, and round off the corners. Using 1/4 inch letter/number punches, punch your engine number on the brass piece. Then pop rivet this item on the firewall. Paint it if you want.
A great idea except any vehicle inspector will know that pop rivets weren't in use during Model A production. Cut rivets short and stick them in the holes of your tag. A spot of braze on the back will hold the rivits in place in place. Then stick it on the firewall with a bit of silicone. When done getting your paperwork done remove it.