82 A door glass

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
bambooboy
Body Type: 82-a
Model Year: 1929

82 A door glass

Post by bambooboy »

need both door glass,vendors or get cut locally? thanks tom in Joppa md
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Re: 82 A door glass

Post by KimVanOrder »

I'd go for getting them cut locally. Check the prices. Quality is probably better cut locally.

Just my thoughts..

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
RustydoubleA
Body Type: express
Model Year: 1930

Post by RustydoubleA »

Hi, I have noticed in several AA trucks that the door glass (in triplex form,which was replacement glass at some point) were of different widths, nearly 1/2" between the narrowest ones and the widest ones. I have used silex210 on ebay, and the widths are perfect, the glass slides up and down effortlessly with the crank. I ordered another full 4 piece set yesterday for just under $300 shipping included. I would rather use local, but I do not have an original plate door glass for an accurate dimension. The windshield is easy for a glass shop, but shipping is not that much more for the whole set. Also, I have bought about 5 windshield frames all having perfect glass at swap meets over the years. These particular 5 frames all had PLATE glass, not safety glass in them (replaced during the depression when cost was a factor and before plate glass was outlawed). You can sort of tell by 1) if the glass and frame look old but there are no signs of air bubbles on the edges (because of de-lamination), and 2) tap the glass with a quarter and plate glass will have a higher solid sound, where safety glass will have a lower dead sound. REPLACE THAT PLATE GLASS. Test your windshield! Steve.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

I would recommend Bert's in Denver. They use safety glass for the windshield and tempered glass for the doors.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck
Model Year: 1931

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

Another good test is to hold a flame against the glass. One image reflected = single pane plate. Two images= laminate.
Greg Liekweg
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1931

Post by Greg Liekweg »

I just stopped at a local glass shop today, To have new door temperd glass made. $21.00 each.