Turn Signals Suggestions

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
wv model AA
Body Type: Dump truck
Model Year: 1931

Turn Signals Suggestions

Post by wv model AA »

I’ve been thinking about installing turn signals on my AA.

Some of the suggested ones offered on Model-A-Parts books don’t interest me.

However; I been thinking about motor-cycle turn signals because of their size. Naturally, they’re 12v if I would have to covert to 6v.

Any thoughts, suggestions, show pictures as examples would be helpful.

I like to hear other recommendations of other signals that are reasonable sizes for front and back.

Thanks you all for your feedback. Let the conversation begin. :)
West Virginia Model AA

"Hold My Beer and Watch This..."
Brady
Body Type: None
Model Year: 1930

Re: Turn Signals Suggestions

Post by Brady »

Might be something in the Agricultural / Industrial equipment parts supply. Rework something from flea market find. Change to 6 volt bulbs in the ones you are considering. Concealed 12v motorcycle or garden tractor battery, as it would be short duration use. - Great truck & good luck.
Jared275
Body Type: dUMP
Model Year: 1928

Post by Jared275 »

Why not just convert to 12V. Just a new coil, covert generator to 12V alternator and a new battery. Will give you brighter lights and a better power supply
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

I assume that you only have the one brake / tail light on the left side of your truck. Consider getting another one that matches and modify the bracket so it fits the right side and use those for combination turn signals / brake lights. That is what I did and I used the system put out by Electro Tech. http://www.turnswitch.com/Turnsignal.htm
They have really worked well for me. I did have a problem about a year and a half after installing them and they fixed them with no cost to me even though it was well after the warranty period.

Having two tail lights with turn signals is a must if you will be doing any night time driving.
------------
Dave
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

I tried a lot of Motorcycle lamps from Hondas to Harleys and the were all to bulky or had too much plastic chrome.
I did some shopping on E-Bay and Craig's List for some antique styled ones but they were too spendy or required a lot of modifications to make the work safely.
I eventually used a Logo Lights kit from Snyders (LOGO LIGHTS A-13402) as I had success with them on a coupe and Tudor. They mount up easily, are easy to see even in daylight and can be hidden away so they are not to obvious. I did modify the supplied Brackets to suit and tucked the rears up under the deck. Blacked out the shiny bits and wired them up easily. The control box can easily be pulled for show as it is attached magnetically to the tank behind the dash.
All in all they met my "Bang for the Buck" requirements, and have operated on all three vehicles flawlessly. Just my Two Cents, your mileage may vary.
Good hunting!
Attachments
P2211368.JPG
P2211368.JPG (113.39 KiB) Viewed 4502 times
004.JPG
004.JPG (113.98 KiB) Viewed 4502 times
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

I made my own system. Went to Menards for a switch. DPDT center off, Got a beeper and flasher unit from Snyders, found some lights I liked for the frt. and rear and wired them up myself. Tip. Use black solid strand wire so you can bond it to the underside of frt. bumper supports so no one sees them. If you want more info on how to wire it let me know and I'll try drawing it up for you.

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
wv model AA
Body Type: Dump truck

Post by wv model AA »

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually I have 2 tail-lights.

I think this is a good discussion that needs to be raised. I do like driving my Double A on back roads and through small towns.....so Safety Comes First.
Attachments
Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (33.64 KiB) Viewed 4464 times
West Virginia Model AA

"Hold My Beer and Watch This..."