New member introduction

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Apple Truck

New member introduction

Post by Apple Truck »

Want to introduce myself. I have a early 30 flatbed. It has been in my family all its life. The truck was used on the family Apple farm and general store all its life. I wanted to get this truck from the time i was a little kid until i finaly bought it from my fathers cousin. I Have been restoring it for a few years now and have the running gear done. My dream came true when i drove it out of the garage that i built to keep it in. Had to put a wood dash and floor on it to screw a sawed off lawnchair on for a seat. The little woman said i look like the Beverly hilbillys. It has a low speed worm geat rearend that limits my road trips to about a mile. Need a high speed BAD. I have been lurking on this site and ford barn and have learned a great deal thanks to all the good people who will share their imformation. Wish i could post pictures but i can just barely work this cumputer. Need to finish bodywork so i can asemble the body get plates and drive it. Thanks Apple Truck
Jared275
Body Type: dUMP
Model Year: 1928

Re: New member introduction

Post by Jared275 »

Welcome to the site. For your speed concerns I would think you should search for a Warford overdrive and a set of high speed gears for the rear end. You should be able to get up to at least 45 mph. But remember it is great to go fast but you also need to have the stopping power to slow the old girl down if needed. I have seen some folks convert to a hydraulic breaking system to overcome this.
Apple Truck

Post by Apple Truck »

Jared I donot need to go fast. 30 mph top speed is a little to slow to be safe. If i can get 40 mph for short a distance i will be able to use the back roads. I live near St Louis and i will not use the highway. I have redone the brakes and i can lock up all four tires but i donot have the cab or bed on the truck and this will ad to the weight of the truck. I would like to keep the truck as it is and not ad a warford and will not put hydraulic brakes on the truck. If the truck could stop with a load when new it will stop without a load now. Without the cab and bed it will pull the steepest hill around in fourth gear so i think it will do ok with a high speed
BrianT
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by BrianT »

Hello and welcome,
Mechanical brakes work fine if repaired correctly, hydraulic brakes came about to save maintenance,
although prone to failures more so than mechanical systems, myself I like to keep my truck as Henry made them.
Except for 3 point seat belts, modified seats for ease of driving, high compression head and twin updraft carbs it is stock,-- the latter items are for better hill climbing, we do monthly tours with our club, all backs roads of 50 to 120 miles.
I you have a model A club in your area consider joining, FMAATC is also a big asset, Fordbarn is a board that as many experienced restorers and a excellent swap section.
You say your truck is a early 30?, it should have a bevel axle not a worm drive and a 4 speed transmission, can you post some pictures, whichever axle you have it has the lower of the 2 ratios that were available.
Have fun with your truck, Regards Brian.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

Jared275 wrote:Welcome to the site. For your speed concerns I would think you should search for a Warford overdrive and a set of high speed gears for the rear end. You should be able to get up to at least 45 mph. But remember it is great to go fast but you also need to have the stopping power to slow the old girl down if needed. I have seen some folks convert to a hydraulic breaking system to overcome this.

The Early '30's have huge brakes. Stopping is not a problem. '32 cast iron drums bolt on.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

Apple Truck wrote:Want to introduce myself. I have a early 30 flatbed. It has been in my family all its life. The truck was used on the family Apple farm and general store all its life. I wanted to get this truck from the time i was a little kid until i finaly bought it from my fathers cousin. I Have been restoring it for a few years now and have the running gear done. My dream came true when i drove it out of the garage that i built to keep it in. Had to put a wood dash and floor on it to screw a sawed off lawnchair on for a seat. The little woman said i look like the Beverly hilbillys. It has a low speed worm geat rearend that limits my road trips to about a mile. Need a high speed BAD. I have been lurking on this site and ford barn and have learned a great deal thanks to all the good people who will share their imformation. Wish i could post pictures but i can just barely work this cumputer. Need to finish bodywork so i can asemble the body get plates and drive it. Thanks Apple Truck
Welcome to the Forum!
E-mail any pics you want to post and I will get them up for you ~~dzappss@gmail.com~~
Last edited by spectria on March 20th, 2015, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Apple Truck

Post by Apple Truck »

Brian My truck is what i call a early 30 The engine was made in late november of 1929. The frame numbers and engine match the title. The title is for a 1930. The four speed trans has a stamped date on top under the shift tower of 11-15-29 The truck is a 28-29 body style with the six hole wheels like your truck. Everything is 28-29 style except the transmission. My dads cousin told me when i got the truck years ago that everything except the head and radiator was stock. The head cracked one winter due to the cold. He said the truck rolled down a small hill hit a tree and mesed up the radiator. He said he forgot to put the truck in gear. He said that dad eat his a$$ good for that one They replaced the parts with parts a friend had. I have been able to find two extra rearends but they are low speed. One is a ruxtell two speed (SLOW and Slower) I will keep looking and someday i will find a high speed. Their were plenty of farmer fixes that had been done but the truck was in fair shape. Pictures of the truck assembled were taken twenty or twenty five years ago( no digital camera.)
stew
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1931

Post by stew »

Welcome to the site! I don't know how far out of St.Louis or how 'rural' you may be, but it is worth asking around small towns if there are any 'old' junkyards around, or farmers who may have some old vehicles in the woods. A few years ago, I came across a partial 30-31 AA frame in a salvage yard, with the rear axle still attached. It was overgrown with weeds, but I did some looking, and found it had the ' 8-36' tag on the axle, denoting it was a high speed type. I had an adjustable wrench in my pocket, and loosened the drain plug. The lube came out clean and golden in color. The owner told me $150 as is, and if its a ball of rust when you get it home, its still yours. I bought it, got it home, and everything inside was like new! Wish I had bought the springs also, but wasn't thinking. I picked up about 10 mph with this axle, and was quite fortunate to find it, so look around, they are out there!

Stew
Always one bad decision away from a good time.