Engine knocking

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
bybirius
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1930

Engine knocking

Post by bybirius »

Hey Guys,
Got my engine together and have been running it lightly for a short time now. As I run through the gears, I am getting a knocking sound. It begins knocking in first gear just as I'm about to shift to second, then again as 2nd is topping out and about to go to third, it knocks, then the same with third and again as I top out in fourth. I'm running an FS electronic ignition with auto advance and when I retard the timing it doesn't hardly knock but then is obviously very sluggish from idle and spits and backfires, etc. I've been thinking it's a timing issue, but with it sitting idling the engine sounds just fine but when I short plug wire 3 with a screwdriver to a head bolt, I hear the bump bump bump bump.
What do you think? Am I climbing under there again, pulling the pan and hunting babbits?
Mark -Atlanta
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: Engine knocking

Post by spectria »

bybirius wrote:Hey Guys,
Got my engine together and have been running it lightly for a short time now. As I run through the gears, I am getting a knocking sound. It begins knocking in first gear just as I'm about to shift to second, then again as 2nd is topping out and about to go to third, it knocks, then the same with third and again as I top out in fourth. I'm running an FS electronic ignition with auto advance and when I retard the timing it doesn't hardly knock but then is obviously very sluggish from idle and spits and backfires, etc. I've been thinking it's a timing issue, but with it sitting idling the engine sounds just fine but when I short plug wire 3 with a screwdriver to a head bolt, I hear the bump bump bump bump.
What do you think? Am I climbing under there again, pulling the pan and hunting babbits?
Your description sounds like piston knock (rattle)?
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
bill worden
Body Type: standrive
Model Year: 1931

Re: Engine knocking

Post by bill worden »

It may just be time to go down another babbit hole. :|