Hub puller woes

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: Hub puller woes

Post by Bob C »

X2 what 1crosscut said. 6-12 pound hammer, the only bad thing
one time I blew the seals out of the jack.

Bob
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

This is what I use.
s147881
Body Type: stake bed 82A

Post by s147881 »

I have been hitting the plate with large sledge. I am not sure if hydraulic jack is taking force out of it?
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck
Model Year: 1931

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

I spent almost a full seven days and a tall bottle of O2 on one. I also used a bashed hupcap filled with penetrating oil through a small hole I drilled in it. I cannot say it did not help, and it certainly caused a lot of smelly smoke. I also killed two jacks and two rigs putting the pressure on. Man they do get stuck. All of a sudden BANG! she popped off. I was afraid to look thinking the axle had broken. Keep at it, she'll come off, on her own sweet time.
Cheers!
1wonton
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1wonton »

Another thought: Although I've never had this much trouble pulling a drum I don't think you can continue to apply pressure at this range without damaging something. How about buying a couple of cheap fire extinguishers and blasting the hub with icy cold (get it good and frosty), then apply the hot wrench. With this much temperature change quickly the hub has to move. Might try it a few times. Also, when you do get it off, rub chalk all over the taper before you put it back together, it will not sieze again. Don't use any kind of petroleum distillate or grease.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

1wonton wrote:Another thought: Although I've never had this much trouble pulling a drum I don't think you can continue to apply pressure at this range without damaging something. How about buying a couple of cheap fire extinguishers and blasting the hub with icy cold (get it good and frosty), then apply the hot wrench. With this much temperature change quickly the hub has to move. Might try it a few times. Also, when you do get it off, rub chalk all over the taper before you put it back together, it will not sieze again. Don't use any kind of petroleum distillate or grease.
Sounds like a valid argument, or use those duster cans and invert them so the nitrogen comes out and freeze the hub, then immediately heat. Its gotta do somehting.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

1wonton wrote:Another thought: Although I've never had this much trouble pulling a drum I don't think you can continue to apply pressure at this range without damaging something. How about buying a couple of cheap fire extinguishers and blasting the hub with icy cold (get it good and frosty), then apply the hot wrench. With this much temperature change quickly the hub has to move. Might try it a few times. Also, when you do get it off, rub chalk all over the taper before you put it back together, it will not sieze again. Don't use any kind of petroleum distillate or grease.
I think the only thing that likely could be damaged would be the drum possibly warping it with the pressure. Although I think that unlikely. I suppose there is the chance of screwing up axle threads if not careful with set up and striking it. I have not heard of anyone causing any internal damage to the differential removing hubs.
------------
Dave
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Just a thought. Are you sure the jack is pushing on hte end of the axle !!! Not on the end of the hub. Just a thought.

And if it is. Admit it!!

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
s147881

Post by s147881 »

It is pushing on the end of the axle. I reversed the castle nut to give more surface area and to prevent damaging the threads. Jack is holding constant full 20 tons as I cannot move jack handle due to pressure. I have gotten a little distracted by a honey do project - sand blast and paint 7 foot tall - 4 tier fountain. My wife's prized yard ornament. I should be complete with this over the weekend and will get back on the hub.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

man that thing is stuck, makes you wonder if someone found a key that "kind of fit" and hammered the wheel back on at one point and now its rusted and going to be a royal pain to get off...

But id try to get it as freezing cold as possible and then get it as hot as possible as quick as possible via torch, then spraying it with water to shock it back to cold all while holding pressure - just be careful where the torch flame goes - dont want your jack to explode or catch fire lol
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

I'm starting to think,,,, that this is all a scam... Just trying to see how long a string of responces one can get. :lol:

This thing sounds so challenging that I wish you were in Mich. so I could get a crack at it.. When it comes apart.. Well you will be a Hero!!!

Here is what I would do. Honestly.. I'd take the puller off,,, strip it down to just as you started, and walk away for a day or two. Scratch your head some more, and go at it again. I don't know why but starting over from scratch seems to help some how.

Keep us informed..

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

When you are heating the hub are you filling the shop with smoke??? If not your not putting enough heat to it.
------------
Dave
s147881

Post by s147881 »

KVO - I am in michigan about 30 miles south of you - Decatur Michigan. I had a lot of smoke the first couple of times but not much lately. I am heating the area just inside hub threads. I can get that area about half way around red hot. My rose bud does not put out enough heat to keep it red hot all the way around but it has been very close to melting. I wrap the jack components in rags soaked with water to keep them cool. I have found a replacement hub with backing plate, bearings, and all brake components for 125.00. I have not pulled the trigger on ot yet as I am going to continue the pull for a couple more weeks.
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

s147881 wrote:KVO - I am in michigan about 30 miles south of you - Decatur Michigan. I had a lot of smoke the first couple of times but not much lately. I am heating the area just inside hub threads. I can get that area about half way around red hot. My rose bud does not put out enough heat to keep it red hot all the way around but it has been very close to melting. I wrap the jack components in rags soaked with water to keep them cool. I have found a replacement hub with backing plate, bearings, and all brake components for 125.00. I have not pulled the trigger on ot yet as I am going to continue the pull for a couple more weeks.
Well if your that close, If you want I'll give you a hand with it if you wish. I don't know exactly what I'd do different, but sometimes another set of eyes can be of help. Maybe the thing to do is split the hub in half and replace it? (or not). Glad to give a hand if you want it.

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

Since you can't get the whole length heated all the way around perhaps try heating the strip of hub along the length of the axle key. That is where you will have the most surface area holding it in place.

Keep at it you'll win.
------------
Dave