1931 split UJoint coupler shaft, compatible with worm drive?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

1931 split UJoint coupler shaft, compatible with worm drive?

Post by birdacre »

i have a 31 split Ujoint coupler shaft from a 4 speed. my 28 aa now has a four speed and the original worm drive rear end. this 31 coupler does slip onto my splined shft to the rear end. the 1931 service bulliten announces this new shaft for fords with 4 speeds and bevel rear ends. has anyone ever used this with a worm drive. i see now reason why it would not work. it would be a good upgrade if the clutch or transmission had to be pulled. i think the highlight of this design is not having to pull the rear end. anyone knowledgeable about this or have converted this is the past??? neil do you have any ideas? thank you, kevin in ct.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: 1931 split UJoint coupler shaft, compatible with worm dr

Post by Neil Wilson »

Kevin,
Hmm - It sounds like your actually have the after market coupling shaft which Ford released in 1932 (not a 1931 coupling shaft).

At any rate, the 1930-1931 or 1932 coupling shafts should work behind any 4-speed transmission since the location of the #3 cross member is in the same location.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

Re: 1931 split UJoint coupler shaft, compatible with worm dr

Post by birdacre »

thanks neal, that is what i am hoping for. it would be a nice upgrade. will keep you posted. kevin