Fuel Filter Flow Problem

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
wv model AA
Body Type: Dump truck
Model Year: 1931

Fuel Filter Flow Problem

Post by wv model AA »

Good Morning Everyone!

I have a 31 AA that has infrequent fuel flow problems in the Fuel Filter. The gas tank has been cleaned. When disconnecting the fuel line that leaves only the Peacock & Fuel Filter only, it flows well. When I have everything connected; the fuel amount in the fuel filter varies when the vehicle is running. The problem is when the truck is idling; it eventually runs out of fuel in the fuel filter and naturally the engine stalls. If the truck is idling and I rev the engine, fuel amount does increase in the fuel filter.
So; what is it that I’m asking? Better consistency fuel amount in the fuel filter to prevent from engine stalling, acting like it’s out of gas. Could it be a “push back” air issue in the fuel filter & line coming from the carburetor? BTW, I’ve tried several different aftermarket fuel filters including the FRAM Fuel Filter recommended from Bratton’s.
SUGGESTIONS?I know I don’t have the correct late period carburetor for my model AA but that’s irrelevant.

Thank you for yuor time,
Jeff
Attachments
IMG_0618.JPG
IMG_0618.JPG (424.89 KiB) Viewed 6232 times
West Virginia Model AA

"Hold My Beer and Watch This..."
BrianT
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Fuel Filter Flow Problem

Post by BrianT »

Hello Jeff,
Gravity fuel systems are not to tolerant with those inline filters, you may want to turn it around and try it, if your concerned about filtering you can install the pencil filter that fits inside the tank, any fine particles will pass thru the carb jets without a problem, ----in addition I would not use rubber hose under the hood.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

You could try something like this from Mike's.
http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A9155L.html

Bob
Attachments
A9155L.jpg
A9155L.jpg (8.35 KiB) Viewed 6211 times
wv model AA

Post by wv model AA »

BrianT wrote:Hello Jeff,
Gravity fuel systems are not to tolerant with those inline filters, you may want to turn it around and try it, if your concerned about filtering you can install the pencil filter that fits inside the tank, any fine particles will pass thru the carb jets without a problem, ----in addition I would not use rubber hose under the hood.

I give it a try. Thanks!
/Jeff
West Virginia Model AA

wv model AA

Post by wv model AA »

Bob C wrote:You could try something like this from Mike's.
http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A9155L.html

Bob

Thanks! I'm going to order that. You can tell; I have a the tear drop indent fuel tank. I do have the screen insdie the peacock.

/Jeff
West Virginia Model AA

1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

I agree. Get rid of that filter. They are not designed for gravity feed fuel systems.
------------
Dave
markt
Body Type: 188a
Model Year: 1928

Post by markt »

One other thing to check, make sure your fuel cap vent is working. If it is plugged it will reduce gas flow.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

Post by birdacre »

maybe your float valve sticks closed once in a while and will not allow fuel to flow? who knows, i would check the needle valve.
Mistloop
Body Type: Aa

Post by Mistloop »

The original glass bowl filter is best. Even though the tank has been cleaned , ( unless it was removed and cleaned in it's entirety ), there still may be some heavy and small particles in the tank. I ,personally, run the original glass bowl and an inline filter. I use the cylindrical glass type that has a fine mesh screen that is cleanable and reusable. I think made by proline? It filters less microns than a paper one, but allows the fuel to flow effortlessly. The paper ones are for use with pressurized systems. Also, the fuel system requires atmospheric pressure to function properly, meaning that your fuel cap needs to "breath".
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

or use those cheapo inline fuel filters for riding mowers. same gravity flow fuel system and a carb about as complicated as a model A's they should work great
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Jeff, The L' 31 As did not come with a fuel filter or a screen in the gas tank. The only gas screen I aware of is the one in the carb. I would think that would be the best for you an replace the two peice fuel line with a one peice line! shelby, Sacramento.
elfox
Body Type: 88-A

Post by elfox »

I tried to find the fuel filter you show in the picture, but I couldn't narrow it down to a specific one. The micron rating of filters similar to yours varies from 12-70 microns, which is way to fine for a gravity-fed system. Typically, the smaller the number (micron rating) means more restrictive to fuel flow. If you are set on having an inline filter, the absolute smallest micron rating I would go with would be 150 microns, since it wouldn't restrict the fuel flow nearly as much. However, even at 150, it may still be too restrictive. 150 microns is about the size of table salt.

I agree with Mistloop above - I think the glass bowl filter is best. It was designed for this size engine, and can be cleaned and reused.
Dave
Port Orchard, WA