Place to clean out gas tank

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B
Model Year: 1930

Place to clean out gas tank

Post by mikeg »

Hello AA Forum'ers,

Are radiator shops still the place to go to get your old gas tank cleaned out? I'm in Washington State and I'm looking for a place somewhat local to me (I'm in the San Juan Islands, so any place will be a ferry boat trip away) ideally somewhere up north near Mt. Vernon or Bellingham?

Any suggestions from our Pac Nor'West members?
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Place to clean out gas tank

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Mike, I cleaned my tank and sealed it. I looked inside with a camera and saw no rust. all shiny bright metal. I used swimming hydracloric acid from Home depot and course sand. Also I attached the tank to a clement mixer to turn it very pleased with the results. After cleaning I had many - many more holes to repair :) Shelby
Attachments
DSCN0065.JPG
DSCN0065.JPG (134.88 KiB) Viewed 2880 times
DSCN0080.JPG
DSCN0080.JPG (134.59 KiB) Viewed 2884 times
bill worden
Body Type: standrive
Model Year: 1931

Re: Place to clean out gas tank

Post by bill worden »

I have used a strong lye solution. I fill the tank and boil it on a camp stove for a while. You can use a length of chain as a scrubber to break up the loose stuff. The cement mixer idea was pure genius, but you need to have the mixer. Aviation sloshing compound is a good treatment after the tank is clean. It will immobilize anything that is left on the tank surface.