Head gasket leak

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Brady
Body Type: None
Model Year: 1930

Re: Head gasket leak

Post by Brady »

I like "Indian Head Shellac", because the next guy to remove it will really earn his stripes...
Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Pulled the head yesterday. With the tools I have the head and block seems to be flat. The leak was mostly isolated between the 2nd and 3rd piston, opposite side from the valves. There is a water jacket port in the head but not in the block. The premium gasket doesn't really seal that location very well. Installed the copper gasket with copper spray. Got it running and re-torqued. After 45 minutes more, still no leak. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Guys I really do appreciate your input! Even if I don't use it....
BrianT
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by BrianT »

It was always recommended in apprenticeship engine rebuilding programs to add a light coat of grease or engine oil to copper and shim type gaskets allowing the cylinder head to spread, those type of gaskets are somewhat a thing of the past.
That premium gasket from Snyders and others has been a source of grief for many, I installed a modern type gasket and 5.5 cpr cylinder head on my engine from the Best Gasket Co, it has a composition materiel with steel fire rings, I have been unable to retorque it beyond its initial installation, no drips or seepage.
Cleanliness is a must, especially the head studs and the holes they go thru, paying attention to removing the rust which will fall down on the gasket when the head is installed, clean the threads with a wire brush, (don't use a dye) and do not oil them.
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by ModelAkid »

"There is a water jacket port in the head but not in the block."

Ford added another water passage between block & head at some point, so sometimes a replaced head will have the hole but not the block. Once the extra passageway was added, all the head gaskets were made that way.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

My shop for many years was shade trees, with green grass for the floors.Made many of my own gaskets with great success. The times I used a gasket sealer you could count on one hand and don't count your thumb. I have gasket sealers I've had for 25-35 yrs. I don't believe in them and DO NOT use them :!: :D with my results. If any of you use the oil or grease on your gaskets please let everyone know your result to settle all this confusion. I mechaniced half way around the world twice with on problem!!! Shelby, Sacramento
BrianT
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by BrianT »

Shelby PM sent.