AA lift kit?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Mistloop
Body Type: Aa
Model Year: 1931

AA lift kit?

Post by Mistloop »

Just a thought. Was thinking about lifting my 31 aa. Thinking 3-4 inches. Anyone attempt this before? Maybe just the front to level the truck out. What is the factory ride hieght of the aa anyway?guess i would need to have a leaf spring made.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: AA lift kit?

Post by Stakebed »

Mistloop wrote:Just a thought. Was thinking about lifting my 31 aa. Thinking 3-4 inches. Anyone attempt this before? Maybe just the front to level the truck out. What is the factory ride hieght of the aa anyway?guess i would need to have a leaf spring made.
im not so sure it would be that easy, would need to modify the wishbone to keep the castor in line and even get the leaf spring bolted back up to the crossmember

then you got the steering linkage to play with - not sure if that would affect anything or hit anything (mostly drag link im wondering)

from what i can tell its a pretty decent ground clearance, easily fit under it on a creeper with tires on the ground.
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

Mistllop are you sure the front leaf spring you have is up to specs? Maybe it has a broken spring or is sagging? I don't recall that the 2 '31 AA's I sold recently had a slant toward the front. I could send you a photo of one to compare.
Mistloop

Post by Mistloop »

Yes. Mine has a slant toward the front. Looked at the spring this morning and it does not look healthy. Spring clamps rotted off as well. I found on eBay some springs that are 28" to 35.5". I am assuming that the larger spring would lift higher when installed. Am I correct in this? Anyway, need to get a new spring and it looks like if needed I can install a lift block between spring and crossmember. Adding longer u bolts. But was thinking, never seen an aa with a higher than stock ride height before. Pondering if I want to go higher, like 6". Maybe I'll stick to just getting the level corrected first.
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

Trucks like the AA's were probably designed to be a bit lower in the front WHEN EMPTY, so that when they are carrying a load they will be closer to leveled out. These commercial vehicles were expected to be carrying a load most of the time.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

If you want to lower the rear you need some of these.

Bob
Attachments
DCP_0956.JPG
DCP_0956.JPG (38.77 KiB) Viewed 8078 times
Brady
Body Type: None
Model Year: 1930

Post by Brady »

Mistloop: If you want to see some lifted A/AA, just google search: Model A Swamp Buggy
The guy with the green '30 posted on here for awhile (I think). It's worth the search to see all those contraptions. They look like more fun than doodlebugs... Good luck

P.S. - Guy's name is Roy Booth. Posted as: carrotman08 Sun. Jan 16 2011
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Mistloop wrote:Yes. Mine has a slant toward the front. Looked at the spring this morning and it does not look healthy. Spring clamps rotted off as well. I found on eBay some springs that are 28" to 35.5". I am assuming that the larger spring would lift higher when installed. Am I correct in this? Anyway, need to get a new spring and it looks like if needed I can install a lift block between spring and crossmember. Adding longer u bolts. But was thinking, never seen an aa with a higher than stock ride height before. Pondering if I want to go higher, like 6". Maybe I'll stick to just getting the level corrected first.

My '28 had a front tilt also. I got a new spring from Sniders and it is level now, Looks much better.

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Mistloop

Post by Mistloop »

At this point , I just want it level and enjoy it first. Already have radiator out getting repaired and now would be the right time to do it. What spring do I buy. Seen eBay have some. Cheaper than macs and snyders. 10 leaf ? 12 leaf? What's the difference? Load capability? Does more leafs make it higher? Guessing I need to go up about 3 inches. Also, seen on ebay different lengths of springs. 29" to 35.5" . What's that all about? Feel stupid. I've been working on cars for 20 years and never got involved with leaf springs . Thanks for the help.
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

I don't think any body sells 30-31 AA springs. I can't believe you need to go up
three inches, the spring would have to be sitting on the axle if you need to go up that much.

Bob
Mistloop

Post by Mistloop »

So do I need to get a spring made? Want to order now or go now to spring shop. Want to get this thing right. Maybe not 3". I'm sure a factory spring will solve my problem. Where do I go to get one for an AA?
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

This guy makes Model A springs, maybe he can make one for an AA.
http://www.a-springs.com/index.html

Bob
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Mistloop wrote:At this point , I just want it level and enjoy it first. Already have radiator out getting repaired and now would be the right time to do it. What spring do I buy. Seen eBay have some. Cheaper than macs and snyders. 10 leaf ? 12 leaf? What's the difference? Load capability? Does more leafs make it higher? Guessing I need to go up about 3 inches. Also, seen on ebay different lengths of springs. 29" to 35.5" . What's that all about? Feel stupid. I've been working on cars for 20 years and never got involved with leaf springs . Thanks for the help.

I got one from Macs.
Fits '28 - '31 Macs Part # 64-23716 12 leaf/ truck, US made #5310B ($140)

KVO
April '28 AA truck
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

Looks like another Mac's screw up, that spring will not fit a 30-31
it's to narrow.

Bob
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Bob C wrote:Looks like another Mac's screw up, that spring will not fit a 30-31
it's to narrow.

Bob

Bob: When you say too narrow, do you mean the over all length as too narow for the truck? Or too narrow as fitting up into the cross member?

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA