Radiators - pressurized, flat tube, rows???

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Scattergood
Body Type: AA dump, Flatbeds
Model Year: 1930

Radiators - pressurized, flat tube, rows???

Post by Scattergood »

Confused
I have 3 candidates, one immediate, for new radiators.
The immediate is a 1931 AA flatbed.

So help me understand the differences between 3 rows, 4 rows, flat tube and dimpled.
Next, pressurized vs unpressurized - is pressurized something I can and want to do?
Looks like you can buy 4 rows unpressurized or 3 rows pressurized - I'm even more confused.
Any special brackets needed?
Looking forward to being less confused.
Thanks in advance,
Gary
NJ
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Re: Radiators - pressurized, flat tube, rows???

Post by KimVanOrder »

My Understanding is:

More tubes equals more cooling capacity.
Dimples equals better cooling capacity.

Presurized is a modern thing. It increases the boiling temp. If your going for original the parts dealers willl tell you what "belongs" in your truck.

I have a '28 flatbed. It is an unpresurized system. I run 50% antifreeze and 2 bottles of water wetter. A standard 'A' radiator.

Also I have the fan shroud to pull air through better. You can also go to a 4 or even six blade fan for better cooling. All depends if you want original or not.

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Scattergood
Body Type: AA dump, Flatbeds
Model Year: 1930

Post by Scattergood »

KVO
Thanks for your great response.

I spoke with my local radiator shop regarding pressurized systems.
He cautioned the fact - if the cooling system had not been upgraded (seals, pump) there may be a risk of leaks. His thought was to remain unpressurized, purchase new rather than recore - new metal throughout.
Recore cost was the same as new, only reason to recore was to save origionality in his opinion.

Hope to receive more feedback - please,
Gary
BrianT
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by BrianT »

Hello Gary,
Your radiator man gave you excellent advise,-- pressurizing radiators gains you little in temperature control with these engines, my truck has a 4 tube-10 fin-re-core with original tanks and came from Berts in Denver, and has no problem on steep grades and hot days.
Bergs radiator in PA has an excellent reputation for radiators, and has new header tanks made for them, my thoughts are the more radiator than you need is the best way to go, you may end wishing you had.
Regards Brian

http://www.bergsradiator.com/
TruckMan
Body Type: Garwood Dump
Model Year: 1928

Post by TruckMan »

This may be of interest, but one good thing to know is that boiling over a Model A engine seems to cause little harm if any. I have had some radiator issues over the years and boiled over more times than I can count. I had a Saturn that had its water pump lock up. Faster than I could find a place to pull over, the head cracked.

Of course, one could hardly drive a TT with any kind of load without boiling over from the day it was new. People often added "mountain kits" with an extra water tank.
TruckMan