They're still out there waiting to be found!

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
lookin-backtexas
Body Type: Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

They're still out there waiting to be found!

Post by lookin-backtexas »

"Homer" the barn find. They are still out there waiting to be found and brought to their "forever home".

These photos were taken this morning celebrating Homer's homecoming after hiding in a barn for 66 years. Bought in central Texas from the original family owner with 38,000 miles showing on the odometer. Based upon the engine number it is an October 1929 AA and has the newly introduced 4-speed transmission with a high speed rear axle. The only thing missing is an outside sunvisor which can be easily obtained. It still has all the original tools and jack under the seat, along with the usual supply of mouse droppings.

There are 16 photos posted on my Facebook page of this beauty.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 135&type=1
If you are not driving your AA truck you might as well be collecting clocks!
ImageImage
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

Re: They're still out there waiting to be found!

Post by birdacre »

what a really nice find. you can feel the energy of the person that parked it and seems to have just walked away from it. do you have any history on it? did that owner die, why was it decomissioned? have you started it? very nice. kevin in ct
lookin-backtexas

birdacre wrote:what a really nice find. you can feel the energy of the person that parked it and seems to have just walked away from it. do you have any history on it? did that owner die, why was it decomissioned? have you started it? very nice. kevin in ct

Kevin:
It was bought by a friend of mine here in our local Model A Club; he has been looking for a good one ever since he first saw my AA 23 years ago (see my avatar photo on the left). He got the original title which confirmed it was owned by one family all these years; he has no idea why it was just parked and left in the barn. He said there were several other vehicles in the barn including a couple of Model T's and several ancient hit-and-miss engines. Sometimes old central Texas families live on the same property for several generations and he guesses they just inherited the property and left things as Grandpa left them. Fortunately he was tipped off by a good friend who knew he was looking for one - and this one is definitely a KEEPER. He is going to drop the pan to clean it out before starting the engine but said the oil on the dip stick is as clear as if you changed it yesterday. He plans to retain the patina and just clean it up and drive it as is. :D
ImageImage
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

SWEET !!!
KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

SWEET !!!
KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

"the oil on the dip stick is as clear as if you changed it yesterday."

That is because after sitting for 66 years all the impurities in the oil settled to the bottom. If the motor was started without cleaning the pan the oil would quickly turn black, and likely be thick with crud.
lookin-backtexas

ModelAkid wrote:"the oil on the dip stick is as clear as if you changed it yesterday."

That is because after sitting for 66 years all the impurities in the oil settled to the bottom. If the motor was started without cleaning the pan the oil would quickly turn black, and likely be thick with crud.
He's dropping the pan to clean out the crud before he tries to start it. :)
ImageImage
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

A guy once sold me a Model A engine that he said he had rebuilt. It looked good on the outside but after I got it home I began to wonder just how "rebuilt" it was, so I dropped the pan to inspect the bearings. The bearings were in typical used condition, but the interesting thing was the rats nest under the splash pan in the crankcase.