Dual Drive Question

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
HKDude
Body Type: Platform
Model Year: 1929

Dual Drive Question

Post by HKDude »

I'm in the process of dismantling my 29 AA and I'm working on the dual drive. I see from an earlier post that I will need to remove the rear end to get the dual drive out. Thank goodness I didn't use the 3 foot pry bar. LOL!

My question is in regards to engaging the drive. I seem to have a gear shift lever and no foot pedal. It also seems to have 3 distinct positions. Is anybody else familiar with this? Was this standard equipment? I have Schild's supplemental AA manual and the information on the dual drive is a little lacking.

Thanks!
Richard Kinney
Model Year: 1930

29aa dual drive

Post by Richard Kinney »

hello hkdude, this is dick kinney in michigan. i am not one of the brains on this site but maybe i can help you sort out something. i have never even seen a "dual hi unit" except for drawings. what i do know is the warford over/under drive,cause i been inside of one a little. the gear shift lever is used on the warford and very much looks like a transmission. two things i would like you to check. one the shift lever may be an H pattern that is gummed up and you don't know it, the other is scrape the sides of grease and read it. the name would be on the main case near the upper side , one side has pats and new york the other says warford. if you are fortunate it is a warford over/ under aux unit. it can go under drive, one to one or overdrive, and makes a very versitle package. I hope you are that lucky, and your gonna clean it sooner or later anyhow, good luck.
HKDude
Body Type: Platform

Post by HKDude »

Ok... After much cleaning and scraping, I don't think its a warford. I can't find any markings of any kind on the sides. Looking at the unit, it looks just like the diagram in Schild's manual EXCEPT where the floor pedals are it has a gear shift protruding from the floor. As I stated previously, this unit has 3 distinct positions.

I was able to find the following identifications on the rear of the unit (facing the driveshaft): A4835 and PFC J3. Does this mean anything to anybody? An archive search on Ahooga turned up nothing... Thanks!
Don Elson

Dual High numbers

Post by Don Elson »

I checked my dual high. Your numbers match those on my unit. I am about ready to reassemble my early '29 truck. The orginial unit needed all new bearings and seals and one of the gears was worn. I was lucky that a fellow club member had a excellent unit in his pile of surplus parts.

I can't answer why you have a lever rather than the pedals.

Don
Bradshaw
Body Type: 82A Cab 89A Express

Dual High Pedal and Bracket

Post by Bradshaw »

HK Dude,

I have an extra 29AA Frame that I'm parting out. The complete driveline is there including the dual high, oil tube, pedals, brackets, etc...

Someone else is interested in the complete rear-end assembly, radius rods, and torque tube and drive-shaft.

Let me know if you are interested in the dual high shifter pedal and brackets.

Also have that dual high and an extra unit.

Bradshaw
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Ford Dual High Transmission

Post by Neil Wilson »

The lower diagram on page 42 of the Schild book is the Ford sold dual high transmission. This was an option for trucks with the standard Model A three speed transmission (1928 through about 10/29). It is an under drive.

The three positions of the foot lever are straight through, neutral, and low. There is a plate on the bottom of the transmission for a power take off which can be run when the dual high is in neutral.

I have seen at least one AA set up with a shift lever to operate the dual high. Maybe the operator liked "hands on operation" :)
Regards, Neil Wilson

DUAL HIGH

Post by pierre »

I am a late comer to this site, found it last night. I have been driving my early 28 AA for about 4 years in parades and tooling around town in the summer. From reading the last persons response, you are getting good info. The dual high on my truck does not have oil seals but oil slingers.
When I first put it on the road there was always oil leaking out. I then put the proper (perhaps more than enough) grease into the universal jounts and the grease forms a seal at both ends of the unit. No more leaks. It works great. The low range was intended for pulling heavy loads up steep hills and of course to give access to the pto. With the worm drive rear end 30 mph is top speed, or you will chew up that nice bronze bull gear due to it not getting the lubrication it needs. Have fun.
Pierre LeRoss
Bud Valerius

aux transmission

Post by Bud Valerius »

You have either a Warford or a Muncie over and under drive. If your shifting handle comes out of the floor next to your transmission it most likley is a Muncie, if the shifting handle comes out from under the seat i t would be a Warford. Either one gives you the option of direct drive, over drive , or under drive. Bud Valerius