Looking for Early 31 Model AA Friend............

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Model AA Rookie
Body Type: Model AA Dumptruck
Model Year: 1931

Looking for Early 31 Model AA Friend............

Post by Model AA Rookie »

I am in the process of trying to bring my January 1931 Model AA dumptruck back to original. Is there anyone out there that has a period correct early 31 Model AA that would be willing to give me guidance (answer questions, pictures, etc) on how my is supposed to look. I would hate to bring it back wrong and not find out until it was done. Thanks, Dan
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Re: Looking for Early 31 Model AA Friend............

Post by ModelAkid »

Many people on this forum can help you with your questions, especially Neil. I just sold an all-original January 1931 AA a few months ago. Just post your questions here and check back frequently.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

Where are you located?
Model AA Rookie

Ok, thank you. I am ordering parts and I don't know which splash apron my early 31 should have. Most of the online pictures seem to show the 31's with a small weld on nose section butting up against the fender and the a short flat section of splash apron attaching to that. However the parts places call that the 30 set up and some list a 31 full splash apron. Thanks,
Dan
Model AA Rookie

I live in the Bangor, Maine area.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

1931 AA's had both fender and running board shields (i.e two pieces). The fender shield bolted to the front fender and also to the running board shield. Whom ever you are taking with (i.e. the parts places) are either thinking about the A chassis or simply don't know what they are talking about. For 1930, the fender shield was spot welded to the front fender and bolted to the running board shield. This design was for both the A and AA chassis.

Starting February 1931, the AA left fender carrier, AA welled front fender and AA fender shield were standard equipment for body types: All dump bodies, 199-A Ice Wagon, 229-A Service, 242-A Heavy Duty Express, 270-A Funeral Service, 275-A Funeral Coach, 280-A Ambulance, 285-A De Luxe Police Patrol, and 300-A De Luxe Delivery.

The left AA fender shield had a large hole for the wheel carrier support. Otherwise, this shield was the same as the A chassis.

Your AA should have a flange on the front fenders for bolting the fender shield.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Neil do you know the start date on the welled fenders? Did they specify exact dates or just months? Thanks, Dan
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

The "wheel carriers for dump truck" was announced in the 2-5-31 Indianapolis service letters. As with most production changes, actual dates are not known. The announcement only indicates "We are about to adopt....".
Regards, Neil Wilson

On the 31 Model AA's is the piece above the running boards that attaches to the front fenders one continuous piece. Or is it two pieces like on the 30's. Also what horns came on this year truck? Thank you for the help. Sincerely, Dan
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

In 1931 a one piece splash shield was used.
Horns on AA's are the same as on Model A's and from 10 feet away they all look the same. However, there were 5 different manufacturers supplying them, each with minor differences, and there were minor differences made over the 4 years of production. For the details on these things and all the other details of Model A and AA production you will need to buy the "Judging Standards" from MAFCA or MARC . Cost is $25 + shipping for 3 ring binder and the latest revisions. Call 866-379-3619 to order.

note: a collection of all the different Model A-AA horns would be at least 15 different horns. For fine point judging you need a horn that was used at the time your vehicle was built.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Model AA Rookie wrote:On the 31 Model AA's is the piece above the running boards that attaches to the front fenders one continuous piece. Or is it two pieces like on the 30's. Thank you for the help. Sincerely, Dan
Sorry, but ModelAkid's answer is incorrect.

The answer regarding the shields is in my post above (Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:21 am). There are two shields per side - a fender shield and a running board shield.
Regards, Neil Wilson
blgitn
Body Type: 275-A

Post by blgitn »

Like this:
13.JPG
13.JPG (119.17 KiB) Viewed 8212 times
This is the early 32 build 157" I used to own. I don't think it was ever taken apart.
R/ Roger.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

This Ebay auction has pictures and is for the 1930/1931 AA running board shields (the short shields for AA's without rear fenders).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231608374653?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Regards, Neil Wilson

Wow this can be confusing. Thank you very much for your help. Dan
dyoungs
Body Type: AA

Post by dyoungs »

Dan,
I think you might be in luck as far as a buddy goes... Try sending Mike in Maine a PM. He lives up in that area and just did a dump truck. Great guy and he also has a connection for a crap load of parts for the old iron..
Dave