Rear Spring clean-up best practices?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
dhetch
Body Type: Stake Body
Model Year: 1928

Rear Spring clean-up best practices?

Post by dhetch »

In the past I always cleaned up spring leaves by taking them apart and running a hand grinder on both sides of the leaves. It was messy, dusty, and I think it did not do a very satisfactory job. I did not go as deep as the pits because I did not want to take too much strength out of the spring.
By now, I assume we have many additional methods that might be better for this job. A few that come to mind are a flapper wheel, sand blasting, and electrolysis.
I would like a response from anybody has tried any of these or any additional methods and their thoughts on how well they worked or didn't.

Dave
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: Rear Spring clean-up best practices?

Post by Stakebed »

I took mine to a local sandblaster, got em 100% clean then I por15 each leaf then lubed with my mix of open gear grease(extreme tacky) and as much graphite as it would take. Then reassembled.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

I sanded mine with the flap sanding wheel. Made a box to do this in with two shop vacs to catch the dust. Yes it is a filthy job otherwise. Then used Slip Plate to lube them. Spray on. One can did them all. Assembled and painted.

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by Shorthaul »

KimVanOrder wrote: Then used Slip Plate to lube them. Spray on. One can did them all. Assembled and painted.

What is slip plate?

KVO
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

Slip plate is found in a spraycan and ive seen it brush on. its special "paint" that allows things to slide and is meant for plates of metal to slide mainly in the farm industry. think of it as a more permanent non edible Teflon type of thing.
flatford39
Body Type: Express

Post by flatford39 »

It's also good for under mower decks. Grass won't stick or build up. You really want to brush it on though. Works good in snow blowers as well. Looks like black teflon when done right.
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

flatford39 wrote:It's also good for under mower decks. Grass won't stick or build up. You really want to brush it on though. Works good in snow blowers as well. Looks like black teflon when done right.
yea it does! ive seen it by another name before at BigR and Tractor Supply but exact same concept and stuff. Farm stores have it as its usually meant for discers and combine heads.
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by Shorthaul »

Thanks for the info. Did you just paint the edges of the spring pack or the underside of the protruding springs also?
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

Shorthaul wrote:Thanks for the info. Did you just paint the edges of the spring pack or the underside of the protruding springs also?

I assembled the entire 'spring pack' and then painted all of the outside sides. You can't see or get at anything else anyways.

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Shorthaul wrote:Thanks for the info. Did you just paint the edges of the spring pack or the underside of the protruding springs also?

If you have them apart paint all sides of them with the Slip Plate.
I did a couple coats on all of my spring leafs. And then I did a final spray coat after they were all assembled. Took closer to three cans. After they cured well I gave them a coat of Johnsons Paste wax. They are still looking good after three years.
------------
Dave