Transmission sticking!(?)

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
pyrodork
Body Type: AA Stakebed
Model Year: 1930

Transmission sticking!(?)

Post by pyrodork »

I've been having this issue for some time already, but I figured that once I fixed the issue with the tower indent pin, it would be okay.

I was wrong.

With the tower off, I can slide the two gears around in the case (though sometimes having to re-align the teeth correctly). With the tower on, I can get first and second gears, but nothing else. With the motor running and the rear on jackstands, I was able to sometimes get (what I think is) reverse, but it would die when I released the clutch pedal. While running, even second gear is difficult to get into. At times, even getting back into first would cause grinding (while on jackstands). I've never been able to get the tower to shift the case into third and fourth.

As I said, I thought the issue was with the ball/pins on the tower. I drilled it to 5/16" and stuck clevis pins in... while being watchful that they don't fall out of place until I get them secured. I'm beginning to think that the issue may lie in the cluster gear or the clutch. I haven't had much time to mess with it recently, so an inspection is in order; but what should I look for? Also, I'm fearful that I possibly re-assembled the tower incorrectly because I can't get it working right. I would appreciate photos of the tower rails/forks and how they should be aligned when putting the tower back on the case. Additionally, a photo of the position of the gear cluster; as how it should be aligned when putting the tower back on. Is it possible that the gear is getting stuck when trying to move it from the tower... in which case, some kind of extra grease/lube may be necessary?

I'm also thinking about removing the reverse lockout, just for simplicity. For those whom have done this, have you had any issue "accidentally" shifting into reverse?

Thanks in advance. Please note that I don't have regular internet access, so replies may not be immediate. It would be nice to at least get -this- issue resolved before the chills.
Rumored to be an Early '30 AA...

"Pics or it didn't happen."

-- Scotty "It-Only-Sounds-Like-I-Know-What-I'm-Doing" Petersen, Esquire.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Re: Transmission sticking!(?)

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Esquire, You may be having a problem with the clutch. With truck on jack stands put the tranny in first gear. Holded the clutch down all the way to the floor, start the engine (with clutch still down) engine still running notice if rear wheels are spinning. If so you do have a clutch issue. The tower may be the problem with 3rd-4th. I'm sure you have the fork in the right place. If not you would lock up something. As for as the reverse dog I don't think you have enough strength and speed in you hand to get the tranny in reverse with the truck rolling forward. The dog should stay. Does the shift lever move freely from 1-2 to3-4 when in neutral (side to side). With engine dying when releasing the clutch in reverse makes me think that the 3-4 fork is out of its grove. Hope this helps Let US know what you fine. This would be very helpful to others :) Shelby, Sacramento.
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by ModelAkid »

Your profile does not have much information. However I have an extra 4 spd AA trans in the middle of UP michigan and you can have it for $50. I will only be there a short time in early October.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

Page 384 of the Service Bulletins has a good picture of what the gears and shift
forks should look like in the transmission, also page 442 tells how to adjust the
reverse lockout. If you don't have the Service Bulletins you need to get them,
Brattons has them for $16.50 http://www.brattons.com/product.asp?P_I ... &PT_ID=all

Bob
farmerden
Body Type: AAC
Model Year: 1928

Post by farmerden »

When I drove the big trucks with two or more transmissions ,when the "A" box tower would wear when you shifted across the "H" from second to third the trans would not quite come out of second and jam into third and there you were ,stuck in two gears ,going nowhere ,usually in an intersection holding up traffic! The only way to fix it was to take a bar under the truck and pry the shifters back into neutral! Not fun! I wonder if your tower is doing a similar thing? Den
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

farmerden, my 55 Chevy 3 spd sticks did the exact same thing.
pyrodork

Post by pyrodork »

Hi guys! It's been awhile.

The AA had been set aside on my project list, but I'm still trying to figure this thing out. I've even been considering a newer driveline just to make this a faster, parts-readily-available truck (at least enough to get to 55, as I'm in the city). Also, to use modern wheels and tires. But then I'm just an F150 with an AA body. The struggle is real.

I think the issue is in the transmission instead of the clutch. From what I remember, the shift lever would almost roll around while trying to find gears. The gears had a hard time sliding on the shaft, but did move. Harder to spin everything (while on jackstands). I wonder if I should bite the bullet and try dropping the trans to make sure everything is clean and moving. Alternatively, I'd love to try a different tower... or even a different shift lever.

Come to think of it, I don't think I ever filled the transmission completely with oil. Only enough to get the gears wet. Money was tighter back then! And when testing, I would only secure the tower with 2-3 bolts. I should still be able to manage to get to 3 and 4, though, right?

Or should I drain the oil and let diesel (or something) sit in the case for a few days?

pyrodork

Post by pyrodork »

Took a quick look today. The shift lever has about two inches of side-to-side free play in neutral. Seems like a lot to me. And yes, it does kind of "roll" in those two inches.

I took the lever off and the new, larger pins are tight in the slot. The holes for the pins in the cap are pretty worn. The holes on the tower side are also worn; especially the hole on the left that goes to the slot on the lever. The ball seems ok, but it's hard to judge. The bottom end of the lever makes me wonder if that's worn too much, too.

I don't know how much free play is acceptable, in which places; if any. Input is well appreciated!

Bob C

Post by Bob C »

Check out these eight videos on you tube on repairing the shifter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIlsC9S ... 0cDoDpBOJh

Bob
pyrodork

Post by pyrodork »

I had seen these before (and actually looked again as I fell asleep last night!). That gave me the idea of using clevis pins. I haven't trimmed them down, but I'm wondering if I tapped them in, if maybe they would go in further.

I'm wondering about the bottom of the lever, too. I wonder if too much is worn off (anyone have a photo or measurements of what it should be?).Even getting what I've gotten, it will still slip out while trying to get out of first gear sometimes. I seem to remember there was an aftermarket shift lever a year or two ago, but I can't find it now. I could be wrong.

How easy should it be to move the gears when the tower is off? Do you think it would be to any benefit to disconnect the driveshaft where it comes out of the transmission to test better? Am I better to test it on the ground instead of on stands? Is it possible I could have gummed up oil in the diff? I can't say I remember checking that yet.

pyrodork

Post by pyrodork »

After going into it tonight for a bit, I wonder if the problem lies in either the sliders in the tower or the gears themselves. I should be able to shift into all gears with the engine off and not touching the clutch pedal, correct? I can get the tower to move in all positions while off of the transmission, but it's hard to judge that kind of thing without it bolted down.

I tapped the pins into the tower with a hammer and the strength seems to be plenty sufficient. The cap moves a bit still, but it all seems better than before. I started the engine, but it didn't last long... I must have a short somewhere because I keep popping fuses. I rotated the engine by hand and got 1 and 2 gears to shift nice back and forth. Move to center position and it feels like a gear is in the way and it keeps hitting while trying to get 3, 4, and R. I feel like I could snap the lever if I force it. This is what I keep getting when trying to shift. I also had the tower off to make sure I got the lever in the tower correctly, and although things were wet with oil, most of the oil was gone. Hmm.

I found some different clevis pins at Fleet Farm tonight. They were by the trailer hitch pins in the farm implement section. They appear to be Grade 8 and have a springed wire retainer that slides over the end when you bend it. This reminded me of the video posted earlier of the guy who drilled holes in the heads of his clevis pins in order to install safety wire. These already have the hole there! I just have to snip off the wire retainer and cut them down to size. I'll see if I can get a photo up.

Bob C

Post by Bob C »

I should be able to shift into all gears with the engine off and not touching the clutch pedal, correct?
NO, the gear teeth may not be lined up and the gears need to be turned slightly to line up.

Bob