A new member from the UK

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Tracked Ford
Body Type: Open
Model Year: 1932

A new member from the UK

Post by Tracked Ford »

Hello,

My vehicle from 1936 which although it uses many Ford Model AA parts was built by the well known British armaments company Vickers as part of the mechanization of the Belgian Army. Designed by Messrs Carden and Loyd, the Vickers Carden Loyd Utility Tractor was a cheap one man gun tractor powered by commercial vehicle parts. The two designers Carden and Loyd are better known for their work on tankettes which again relied on Ford engines and transmissions this time the Model T.
Attachments
e.jpg
e.jpg (129.15 KiB) Viewed 3908 times
d.jpg
d.jpg (72.93 KiB) Viewed 3908 times
b.jpg
b.jpg (156.2 KiB) Viewed 3923 times
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: A new member from the UK

Post by Stakebed »

Oh wow! very neat! is the bren functional? 8) now your getting into my other hobby :wink:

Do you have any videos of it running around?
Tracked Ford

Post by Tracked Ford »

Hello Stakebed,

Sadly neither the Bren nor the Lee-Enfield are functional. The body work will have to be changed back to the original Belgian version, see picture.

What military vehicles do you have?

Mark

Attached is a captured VUT being driven by an apprehensive German soldier
Attachments
VUT 4.jpg
VUT 4.jpg (55.34 KiB) Viewed 3897 times
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

very cool to say the least. I'm surprised the UK allows you to even have vehicle mounted guns functional or not.

My ww2 hobby doesnt include any vehicles yet... but have a wide variety of ww2 guns. If you ever get a chance to shoot a lee enfield No4 like whats mounted on your vehicle I'd highly recommend it. One of the smoothest bolt actions of ww2 and nice balanced weight to it. I must admit the german K98 is probably the smoothest bolt action ive fired with the springfiled 1903-A3 a close second.

I do have a friend of mine who has a Kettenkrad (ww2 german halftrack motorcycle) that thing is stunning to be around!

heres some vehicles sitting in junkyards around me:
dodge from korean war era
belived to be another korean war era
ww2 halftrack M2A1

sorry none of this is model AA related :oops:
Tracked Ford

Post by Tracked Ford »

In the UK most weapons are deactivated including those on AFV, although firearm certificates can be obtained for shooting rats and things but not with a machine gun.

Excellent pictures especially the White's M3 half track. The troop compartment has been burned off but someone has made a steel cover for the cab with what looks like a periscope viewing window, post war or civilian?

Mark
Tracked Ford

Post by Tracked Ford »

The Utility Tractor is slowly making progress with the body work progressing, however, with more than 100 0.375 rivets to be riveted over the novelty may wear off :cry: :cry:

Mark