Rear View Mirror Placement

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
JPP
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Rear View Mirror Placement

Post by JPP »

I have a rear view mirror and was wondering does it extend down below the cross member into the window area or not. I don't have access to official judging stands and just need to see where it should go.
macswoods

Re: Rear View Mirror Placement

Post by macswoods »

Well all the AA Ford trucks did not have a rear view mirror inside the cab. They only had
a outside mirror on the drivers side. What year truck do you have? Mac....
JPP

Post by JPP »

I have a '29
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Side View Mirror

Post by Neil Wilson »

All A and AA commercial vehicles with the 82-A or 82-B closed cab came with a side view mirror (no inside mirror). Some information is at http://aafords.com/aa-body-types/body-d ... allations/.

The mirror bracket is dependent on the cargo body for the 1929 AA with a Closed Cab
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

I added an inside mirror to my '28 on a quick removable metal bracket. I took a piece of metal about 4" wide and just long enough so that when I puched it all the way up under the front top wood part the bottom would just clear the bottom where the panel trim tucks in. Mount the mirror to this part, slide it way up, puch in the bottom and pull down to lock it in place. Pops out just as fast.

kvo
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
macswoods

Post by macswoods »

Picture of it ,please.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Macwoods: I can not post pixs as my computor is screewwweedd up. I'll try discribing it. 18 ga. 4" wide aprox. hight is just enough so when the top is tucked up between the wood that holds the top of the vinyl covered trim panel, the bottom just clears the chanel that the bottom tucks into. Be sure to file all edges very smooth. I mounted an Model A auto mirror to it so the mirror hangs below the top of the window. Sat in the drivers seat to get this hight established so I could see down the road behind me. Drilled and taped holes for the mirror mounting bolts. Painted to match the panel it goes against so it is less visable. Then I used "E-6000" adhesive to bond the mirror to the plate, used the bolts to hold the mirror to the plate. When the adhesive was dry I cut the back of teh bolts off flush with the back of the plate. Filed them smooth as so not to scratch the vinyl when putting it in and out. I think I also put tape over the bolt "stubs" for added protection. I hope this helps.

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

what have you guys done who have 28/29 cabs thats supposed to have the single 11" long arm bolted to the pillar ? im curious how you guys add a mirror to the passenger side as it seems insanely dangerous and hard to drive an AA with no mirror on that side of the truck...
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

If your truck has the drivers side mirror mounted on the upper corner using the bolts to hold the visor on you can get a repo unit from Neil Wilson that will bolt right up to the passenger side. That is what I did. I bet that if your truck has the mirror mounted halfway down the pillar on the drivers side it would still work to put mirrors up at the corners of the visor. Otherwise you would have to add a couple of D-Nuts on the passenger side pillar.
DSC_0763.JPG
DSC_0763.JPG (191.35 KiB) Viewed 5942 times
------------
Dave
Ulysses6
Body Type: 89A

Post by Ulysses6 »

very nice.