2 28 AA questions

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

2 28 AA questions

Post by birdacre »

i have a dec. 28 aa. it had a 3 speed when new. now it has a 4 speed out of a 30AA. the shaft for the pedals has a hole machined through it from one end to the other. any idea how this was sealed. i do not want oil to come out. it is a machined hole not someone's alteration. my next question. does anyone know the proper length of the brake rod from brake pedal to x member shaft. what belongs on each end? clevice or eyelet. thank you in advance. kevin in northeast ct
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: 2 28 AA questions

Post by Bob C »

See post #29 at this link, guy has the same shaft. I had never seen one with the hole.
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthrea ... 324&page=2

Bob
1955cj-5
Body Type: ccpu
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1955cj-5 »

Hi Kevin,

I am the fellow with the AA four-speed and a hollow clutch/brake shaft.

It looked like the shaft had a plug in the outer end, just inside of the hole where the pin went. The other end had no plug and it leaked because the shaft had split near the inner hole where it fastened to the transmission. I carved a wine cork down and slathered it with Permatex #2 and stuffed it in the hole on the end that fastens to the transmission.

No leaks anymore.

If I take the bell housing out again I am going to replace the shaft with a solid shaft...Bratton's has them #11110 ......a standard A shaft won't work because of the alignment of the pin holes....

Randy
macswoods
Body Type: 82-A

Post by macswoods »

May be to lube the pedal bushings, are there any holes cross drilled in the shaft to the bushings/ Later the pedal to bushings were drilled for
grease fittings to lube the bushings. ??? :?: :P
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

i was thinking this too but i would think after a bit of wear the hot oil would just seep out of everywhere...
macswoods
Body Type: 82-A

Post by macswoods »

Got to keep those old brain cells going, with the AA and two Crosleys to get on the road.
gearling
Body Type: AA

Post by gearling »

1955cj-5 wrote:Hi Kevin,
I carved a wine cork down and slathered it with Permatex #2 and stuffed it in the hole on the end that fastens to the transmission.
No leaks anymore.
Randy
There is at least one wine cork employed in one way or another on several of my vehicles. You're not by chance a Chevy mechanic?