Rear axle housing wheel bearing repair sleeves

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
dhetch
Body Type: Stake Body
Model Year: 1928

Rear axle housing wheel bearing repair sleeves

Post by dhetch »

Anyone know of a source of AA rear axle housing wheel bearing repair sleeves? I can find ones for cars but none for the AA's, specifically 28 or 29.
drtrcrV-8
Body Type: open

Re: Rear axle housing wheel bearing repair sleeves

Post by drtrcrV-8 »

The only source I was able to find (2 yrs ago)was "ORA SCHWALM'S" at 717-687-6976. He is 'pricey'!! (I found it cheaper to buy another complete rear end & gamble on it's condition, but I was lucky!) I was looking for '30-'31 AA & '32-'34 BB housings, as I needed a later axle under my '28, but that's another(O.T.) story.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

its not so much the sleeves, its either A locating larger ID bearings ($$$) or finding a machine shop with a large enough lathe and capabilities to lathe down the bearing surface to a press fit of the new sleeve (also $$$)
drtrcrV-8
Body Type: open

Post by drtrcrV-8 »

Forget the BIG lathe concept : "Think outside the box" ; Years ago I worked in a machine shop where a large shaft came in requiring re-machining to a center, & all our lathes were occupied. Instead of tearing down a lathe set-up, the head machinist set the unit into a set of large floor mounted V-blocks in front of a large floor mounted mill(the floor acted as the machine bed & the mill could be accurately repositioned on the floor), used a dial indicator to 'locate' the shaft, & proceeded to 'fly-cut' the stationary shaft to the proper diameter : an axle housing would be a similar(& a fairly easy set-up), & way faster & easier to set-up than into a lathe!( & a side note : once set-up for one side, it would be very simple to reverse the housing in the V-blocks to machine the other end as required!) You just need to find a REAL Machinist, not just the usual 'hack' who thinks that they are & wants to charge you a lot of money to prove they aren't! Sorry about the 'fire' ; I used to be a fair machine operator, & I'm embarrassed by what most of those I meet today don't know!