Budd Wheels, Spoke Wheels, Hubs, Change Out...

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
gearling
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1929

Budd Wheels, Spoke Wheels, Hubs, Change Out...

Post by gearling »

I am in the process of renovating a '29 AA. It is titled as a '29 and the body is consistent as such. However, it is set up with Budd wheels, duallies on the rear, with correct hubs/drums for the budd wheels all the way around. Also, it does NOT have a worm gear drive rear end. I don't know if it is a '29 body on a '30-'31 chassis, a late '29 that was somehow a transition, a conversion/recall upgrade, or possibly some kind of Frankenstein. Regardless, I would like to put the front on spoke wheels and keep the dual budds on the rear. That may seem weird, but I think it would look good that way. My question is - Will the hubs/drums for '29 spoke wheels fit the same spindles as the hubs/drums for the budd wheels? Thank you in advance for any help!
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Re: Budd Wheels, Spoke Wheels, Hubs, Change Out...

Post by Stakebed »

you may have a early 30, where everything but the axles look like a 29. rather common for titles and whatnot to be wrong.

best way for us to know is if you post a few pictures. sometimes people did frankenstein the later axles under it.
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

In January 1930 the new chassis with a heavier front axle, larger front brakes, bevel gear rear and Budd wheels were now used. These trucks continued to use the '29 sheetmetal until June 1930 when the new '30 sheetmetal for the commercials was introduced. Some of the odd features of these trucks during this period include the use of '30 style headlights, a twist off '30 style gas cap in the '29 style tank, and a '29 style radiator that has a four row deep radiator with the '30 style dimpled fin core. These things changed gradually over the five month time period as the old '29 parts ran out.

Keith
tiredtruckrestorer

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Forgot to mention that the spindles were heavier starting in January 1930 and took larger wheel bearings than the two styles previously used in 1928 and 1929. The earlier hubs for the wire spoke wheels and the 6 hole '29 wheels won't fit the '30 and '31 heavier spindles.

Keith
gearling

Post by gearling »

That all makes sense. Henry certainly was a shrewd one. Well, rather than make radical modifications for it to accommodate spoke wheels, I think I will just accept it for what it is. It is a solid, complete truck, it just needs a little love. Now, how do I convince the wife I need yet another truck, one that has spoke wheels? :D Thanks for the help!
Attachments
AA 29.jpg
AA 29.jpg (26.28 KiB) Viewed 7912 times
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

1930 AA

Post by Neil Wilson »

Your AA is a 1930 (at least it looks like it is). The cab is an 82-A which was used through June 1930. The 82-A is not just a 1929 body type.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by gearling »

Just as well to keep it 'correct' and not to do the wheel modification, then. I wouldn't hesitate if it was already altered, or a just basket case. I have been told many of these trucks were ordered as a chassis, then third parties would turn them into flatbeds, cotton wagons, or box trucks, etc, according to buyer specifications. This one was a 'lunch wagon'. Thanks for the help!
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

gearling, the VIN can be helpful also. Does the serial # on the engine match the title? I don't suppose you have seen the serial number on the frame, that is the number you can rely on. Frame, engine & title numbers are supposed to match but oftentimes the engine was changed.
gearling

Post by gearling »

Yes. The engine number must have commonly been used as the vin. This was also the case with my Dad's '31 Coupe.
gearling

Post by gearling »

You guys nailed it. According to the MAFCA engine serial number chart: June, 1930 !
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

The Early 1930 models were made through June of 1930. If the engine number is matching the frame number you have one of the latest Early 30's made.You can't be sure about an AA by relying on the engine number as engines were easily changed.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

All original AA's had an engine number with an AA prefix- except:

For a three month period starting mid February 1928 (with engine ID A-26268) through mid May 1928 (with engine number 136,000 approximately) the AA truck clutch spring was the same as the Model A. During this period the engine ID had the “A” prefix. Refer to the “Service Letters” dated February 23rd and May 15th 1928.

If the June 1930 engine does not have the "AA" prefix, then it is not the original engine and therefore can not be used for identification.

Regarding the term "Early 1930". This means Jan., Feb., Mar., April as defined by the Judging Standards. AA's with the 76-A open cab, 82-A closed cab, or 85-A panel delivery were produced through June 1930 (this is more like mid-1930). The new cabs and panel delivery (with a "B" suffix) started production in June 1930.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by gearling »

The engine does have the AA prefix. I haven't looked for the number on the frame yet. It has suicide doors that look like a factory job, but I suppose they could have been swapped around. Did the commercial truck cab doors have 4 hinges?
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

All AA Ford factory closed cab trucks had 3 door hinges and hinges at the front. Looks like you have a truck that may have been just a chassis sold to a custom body builder, that is with a body that only went as far back as the dash, except I think running boards and splash aprons were also included.
gearling

Post by gearling »

OK, everything behind the gas tank and above the frame built by third party coach builder. Certainly there were identifiable fleet builders who made numerous trucks of a particular design, but then there are bound to be the custom 'one offs' that were absolutely unique. I would doubt there is any hope of finding out where it was built and when. I know we have gone off the original topic, but I appreciate all I can learn about it. Thanks!