Early AA truck U joint

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
ArtO
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Early AA truck U joint

Post by ArtO »

Hi folks ! I have my Grandfather's Model AA, AR pickup with teh express bed. It's an early model with only the three speed tranny, same as the car.I've got a problem and I don't know where to go. I need the U joint that goes on the end of the short drive shaft on the long driveshaft side. This one has 6 SPLINES ON ONE SIDE AND 10 ON THE OTHER. Can this be found anywhere ????? Please help. Thanks Art O.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Early AA truck U joint

Post by Neil Wilson »

I don't know of an available u-joint currently. Someone will likely have one.

Note - Page 357 (August 1929) of the Ford Service Bulletins shows an old and new designs of drive shaft and u-joint. The old (prior to August 1929) u-joint will not fit the new design drive shaft. The new design u-joint will fit either drive shaft.

FYI - AA's with the Express body were called Express trucks. The term "AR pickup" was never used by Ford. All AA's through Aug./Sept. 1929 originally came with a three-speed transmission.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by ArtO »

Thank You Neil !! I'm still looking. Have any idea what it would cost to have one made using the parts I have ( the two splined sections)
stew
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1931

Post by stew »

Do you have any friends who are machinists? Talking to someone in a machine shop may be your best bet.
Always one bad decision away from a good time.
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

ArtO, I think Neil had a typo in his post about the Service Bulletin information on AA U-joint & driveshaft changes. That information is on p. 367 not 357. Note that your earlier style AA can use either the old or new style U-joint without modification.
BrianT
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by BrianT »

ArtO wrote:Thank You Neil !! I'm still looking. Have any idea what it would cost to have one made using the parts I have ( the two splined sections)
Hello Art,
The u-joint you have is it the riveted together type or the one that has the replaceable cross ?.
Regards Brian.
drtrcrV-8
Body Type: open

Post by drtrcrV-8 »

Would a later 'short-shaft' interchange & have a matching spline(10/10)? I don't know, that's why I'm asking. Otherwise find a machine shop 0that modifies axle shafts to get a shaft re-splined(you will probably need someone else's "extra" long shaft to cut down & re-spline to make yours. Hope this helps.
ArtO

Post by ArtO »

Brian,
I believe my U Joint is , or was, the type with the riveted middle section. Can't tell because the middle is completely destroyed. But, the lugs are cast into the splined sections, so it must be the rivet type. I'm thinking that the lugs could be reground ( I hope) and two middle halves made. I'm thinking out loud here. I'm still looking.
Thank you everyone for your help with this. I would like to get the truck fixed for my son. He's at the age where he's not really interested in it right now, I hope he will be some day. But, if it is a giant paperweight and not drivable I know it would be too much of a project for him right now. This belonged to his Great Grandfather I would hope it would stay in the family. Thanks again everyone !
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

ArtO, it does not matter what type of U-joint you had in your truck. ANY AA U-JOINT WILL FIT RIGHT IN YOUR '29 AA WITHOUT MODIFICATION. It should be easy to find another good used u-joint. I recently gave one away with a AA transmission I sold. This is the Discussion forum, I suggest you post a "wanted" ad in the Buy & Sell section.