31 delux wire wheels

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
s147881
Body Type: stake bed 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: 31 delux wire wheels

Post by s147881 »

Good thing winter is coming soon to michigan- I was able to trade an old skidoo snowmobile for the truck. Will try to pickup this weekend and try and figure out how the 28 wire wheels are on the thirty drums.
blgitn
Body Type: 275-A
Model Year: 1931

Post by blgitn »

Good news,..inquiring minds want to know! :)
Merry Christmas to all.
R/ Roger.
gearling
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1929

Post by gearling »

[quote="ModelAkid"]"If it is an early 30 how are the 28 wire wheels fitting on the 30 hubs?"

"Bolting up" and "fitting" are 2 different things. Notice how far out the wire wheel is on the right front. If it had the weight of all the tin, engine and trans, the tire would rub on the bead of the fender. It isn't the bolt pattern that makes it not fit, but the depth of the drum, the spindle size, etc. I ran into this issue when I thought about putting my '30 on wires, and found out how costly and problematical it would be. Still working on convincing the wife I need another truck to fit a set of wire wheels! :shock:
tiredtruckrestorer

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Physically the '28 wire spoke wheels and the '29 disc wheel will fit on the '30-'31 hubs. The bolt pattern is the same. SAFETY WISE THIS SHOULD NOT BE DONE! The '28 and '29 wheels had a cone shaped protrusion around the back of each bolt hole that mated to a cone shaped recession in the hub. This helped support the weight and the wheel attaching hardware main job was to hold the wheel to the hub/drum assembly. Putting the '28 and '29 wheels on the later hubs designed for the Budd wheels mates the protruding cone shape against a flat surfaced hub. This puts the stress on the studs not only to hold the wheel on but to carry the weight. This could also lead to the wheels coming loose. The '31 wire spoke wheels have a much larger bolt pattern and will only fit the special hubs that were required for use with them.

Keith
Hayslip

Post by Hayslip »

In the photo of the rear end note the wire wheel hub does NOT butt up against the brake drum. A gap here. A BAD idea trying to fit the 1928 style wheel on a 1930 hub.. No support here. This truck originally had an aftermarket cab/body. Note the sheet metal to make the A pillar fit aftermarket cab.
Hayslip
s147881
Body Type: stake bed 82A

Post by s147881 »

Picked up truck yesterday and was disappointed with condition. I very specifically asked the individual about condition of running boards and skirts as that was only thing I wanted from the truck. He stated on the phone that they were perfect. After driving 2.5 hours one way I unloaded the snowmobile before I even looked at the truck (mistake number one). When I was taken out to the back forty to get the truck I noted that both running boards and both skirts had large amounts of rust thru cancer. When I brought up the fact that he had told me that they were perfect he asked me if I knew how to mig weld? I said I did and he said I should be able to make them usable. This individual claimed to be a retired minister. Of what I am not sure! I did take the truck as there maybe some potentially salvageable parts.

The wheels are 28 spokes and not one of the rims are usable due to cancer. I was able to get a good 28/29 gas tank still on the cowl and a set of after market 28/29 front fenders (new) for an extra 100. Lesson for all who don't already know this - have them send detailed pictures before you commit to lengthy drive. His description on the phone was not even close to being accurate!

The only thing I can hope for is that the rear end is a high speed one.

The individual's wife was out taking photos of the snowmobile when we came back from rear forty - when she seen us she immediately stopped and went in the house - most likely to put the sled on Craig's list!
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

I have heard your story of the description being fiction many times before. A friend of mine almost assaulted a seller after he drove 1000 miles to get what was supposed to be a nice Model A and it turned out to be complete junk.
I noticed in your photos that the bottom end of the fenders had a pile of leaves. In damp climates it does not take very long for that to result in rust out. Always beware of a seller's photos when something like that has not been swept away so you can see what is there.
Like you I have also encountered dishonest people who claim to be religious. I guess con men sometimes use that to get people to trust them.
BUYER BEWARE!