Indented Door for side mount

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
cokefirst
Body Type: stake
Model Year: 1931

Indented Door for side mount

Post by cokefirst »

Where there different shapes of door indents? I have seen photos of two distinctly different indents. One photo shows the indent with a the vertical cut perfectly straight an parallel with the indent "C shaped. The other photo looked more like a dent with the sides rounded. Can anyone explain the difference?
tiredtruckrestorer

Re: Indented Door for side mount

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Yes, there were two different styles. The drivers door with the more rectangular shaped indent became available in Febreuary '31 for the Service Car, followed in March '31 for the Ice Wagon and then offered for the Heavy Duty Express. Dump, Coal, and Garbage bodies when tires larger than 6.00X20 were ordered. The Deluxe Delivery, Ambulance, Funeral Service, Funeral Coach, and Deluxe Police Patrol had more of an oval shaped recess in the drivers door. These doors will not fit the standard closed cab as they are longer and get taller towards the rear edge of the door. The shape of the belt molding is different too.

Keith
cokefirst

Post by cokefirst »

Thank you, my truck was originally a dump with the sidemount, but the door did not have the indent. I assume someone replaced the door at some time. When I got it, the truck was a basket case, so who knows what happened. I would like to find one to take measurements so I can have one fabricated for my door.
bud valerius
Model Year: 1930

Post by bud valerius »

Neil Wilson did a article in the news letter years ago on the door you need , the photo and measurements came from my dump truck door
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

AA Dump trucks did come with the left front fender wheel carrier starting 3/31. But, As Keith indicated above, these trucks did not come with the depression in the door normally. Until early 2015, I had thought that the door with the depression was standard for AA Dump trucks. The new wording for the Judging Standards is:

82-B Closed Cab
AA's with this cab and the following cargo body types used left hand door AA-82766. This AA door had an elongated oval recess (depression) to provide extra tire clearance for the left front fender wheel carrier. Usage dates are noted below.
• 199-A Ice Wagon - beginning in March 1931 with left fender wheel carrier
• 229-A Service - beginning in February 1931 with left fender wheel carrier
• Beginning in March 1931, the AA recessed door was offered as special factory equipment when tires larger than 6:00x20 were ordered. This applied to the 242-A Heavy Duty Express and all Dump, Coal, and Garbage bodies These body types came with the left front fender wheel carrier as standard equipment.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

cokefirst wrote:Thank you, my truck was originally a dump with the sidemount, but the door did not have the indent. I assume someone replaced the door at some time. When I got it, the truck was a basket case, so who knows what happened. I would like to find one to take measurements so I can have one fabricated for my door.
Here is a picture Neil posted before.

Bob
Attachments
x82-B Indented door c.jpg
x82-B Indented door c.jpg (48.79 KiB) Viewed 5162 times
Hayslip

Post by Hayslip »

See my The "non" dented fender post on the AA Club House dated Sept.09,2014 of a well maintained AA heavy duty express with a fender well, but a plain door. Excuse my heading; I meant door at the time.
Hayslip
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hayslip wrote:See my The "non" dented fender post on the AA Club House dated Sept.09,2014 of a well maintained AA heavy duty express with a fender well, but a plain door. Excuse my heading; I meant door at the time.
Ed, Please post links for your references. Otherwise each person is required to do a search. Your link would means no one needs to search.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by cokefirst »

Thanks guys for all the great information. My door would hit the tire and to keep that from happening, the restorer added some washers to the door stop mechanism to keep the door from opening so much. I do not, nor do I intend to show my truck, but would like the indent so the door could open to it's full swing. I am also planning on installing a sidemount on the passenger side so that I will have dual side mounts. I would like to indent both doors so they can be fully opened.