Rear main on my AA

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Jbeavers
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Rear main on my AA

Post by Jbeavers »

Well in the process of restoring my 1929 AA and just going through the motor and well removed the rear main only to find the Babbitt nearly shattered and just in peices basically I know I could have the Babbitt repoured or has anyone tried these new modern insert style main bearings, worth it or not either way it's going to be a project. Thanks
Chris Haynes
Model Year: 1930

Re: Rear main on my AA

Post by Chris Haynes »

Inserts are better in every possible way.
BrianT

Post by BrianT »

Should you decide on the inserted bearings be sure to add a full flow oil filter, inserts have no problem using the stock non pressurized oiling system.
Seek out a rebuilder that is familiar with installing inserts, ---- babbitt is more forgiving of any dirty particles in the oil, most recommend staying with the stock rear engine seal as it came from the factory, many have regretted using a modern seal.
1930artdeco
Body Type: n/a
Model Year: 1930

Post by 1930artdeco »

If the Babbitt is cracked in the cap, try Bill Barlow (541) 389-2694 (Oregon) babarlow@bendcable.com

Mike
Jbeavers

Post by Jbeavers »

Ok thanks guys I think I'm gonna stick with original and have babbit repoured looking into several resources to have this accomplished thank you