New to the Forum

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
goodrust
Body Type: 131 AA
Model Year: 1930

New to the Forum

Post by goodrust »

I have a 1930 AA 131 wb . Cab frame ,front and rear axels. Every thing else is gone. The brake drums sat in dirt so they are fairly rusted. I've managed to pry one drum off, took about 5 hours of tapping and prying. Problem I see now is the shoes look like they are pried out . Did I bend something? I think it would be better if I made a brake hub puller. Any ideas would be appreciated .I can possibly purchase the running gear from a 1932 bb does anyone know if this will bolt up? I've tried searching the web for info and details but not much on AA trucks .So thanks for this forum .Tom
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Re: New to the Forum

Post by Chris Haynes »

I have a drum puller. You haven't listed your location so I don't know where your are. It would be very expensive to ship.
Is your truck and Early or Late 1930?
goodrust

Post by goodrust »

Seattle area. Is the puller specific to the AA ? Thanks Tom
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Some "BB" parts do interchange, but the majority of them do not. For instance, the internal transmissions gears are the same, but the case is different. The wheel bearings, brake shoes, front drum/hub assembly are the same, but the rear hub/drum assembly is different. The driveshaft, torque tube, and intermediate shaft are all different. The wheels are slightly different but will fit. The differential and rear springs and mounting are different. These are just some examples of how some parts will fit, but others don't.

Keith
goodrust

Post by goodrust »

I noticed the rear spring perches being different. Didn't know if the motor an tranny would just bolt in place. I don't mind mounting motor a different motor and tranny but don't want to modify much else. Keith ,are you saying the front drums from the BB will fit my AA spindles but not the rear drums, as I think I read somewhere that the BB drums are cast iron? Do you know if this is correct?

Tom
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

The BB rear hub is different but the drum is the same. The later drums were cast iron, see the picture.

Bob
Attachments
castdrum5.JPG
castdrum5.JPG (292.61 KiB) Viewed 4198 times
castdrum1.JPG
castdrum1.JPG (258.14 KiB) Viewed 4198 times