Manual crank hoist

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
tcrate01
Body Type: 29 Closed cab
Model Year: 1929

Manual crank hoist

Post by tcrate01 »

Hi guys,
I just picked up a Little Giant manual crank hoist for my early 29 project. This will go nice with the three rear pocket stake bed that I have yet to restore. From the research I have done, it seems The hoist I bought is the heavier duty one. It will not quite fit between the cab and the first cross member. Not a big problem. With a little modification of the rear structure, I will make it fit. My question is : does any one know the original color of these hoists from the factory? I a assuming black was probably used and that is my default color with any undercarriage components. However, there is a hint of silver paint on my hoist. Original or not?
Thanks,
Tcrate
IMG_5161 (1).JPG
IMG_5161 (1).JPG (120.27 KiB) Viewed 4998 times
T-crate
Roadster AA
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1928

Re: Manual crank hoist

Post by Roadster AA »

Hello Tcrate,
I have a 28 AA and I also have a manual crank hoist. I didn't know the name of it but after reading your post I think it is a Little Giant. It looks just like the picture you posted. I can't help you with the color because mine is all rust.
I will be painting mine black like the frame. The one I have fits between the cab and cross member. I am missing the crank that goes on the end. I did take pictures of it when it was mounted on the frame. I am getting ready to paint and mount it. I am also getting ready to put the wood on my flatbed.
Good luck in finding the original color.
Pat
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (159.13 KiB) Viewed 4872 times
tcrate01
Body Type: 29 Closed cab
Model Year: 1929

Re: Manual crank hoist

Post by tcrate01 »

Pat,
Thanks for the reply and picture. Your AA is looking nice. I am going to just paint my hoist black also. I am envious of the perfect fit you have.
It is interesting to see the difference in the extra gear reduction at the handle end mine has for "heavy" loads. For normal light loads the crank was put on the straight through shaft for faster cranking. Then for heavy gravel or boulders, the crank was put on the stub shaft to use the extra gear reduction. My truck is turning out almost too nice to be hauling gravel or boulders so this feature may not be used much. If you get yours done before mine, I would be interested in a report on how much effort is required for dumping normal VS heavy loads with the non gear reduction handle.
It looks like you are a few months ahead of my platform restoration also. My brother has the white oak rough cut through his sawmill for me so maybe after about a year of drying, I can be sandblasted, painted and ready for wood.
Tcrate
T-crate