Can 28 Dual High be removed without moving engine?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
dhetch
Body Type: Stake Body
Model Year: 1928

Can 28 Dual High be removed without moving engine?

Post by dhetch »

I have the rear axle out of my 28 AA. Can I remove the Dual High for service without moving the engine or 3 speed trans forward?
drtrcrV-8
Body Type: open

Re: Can 28 Dual High be removed without moving engine?

Post by drtrcrV-8 »

Being as the 'dual-high' bolts directly to the opposite side of the same crossmember that the torque-tube does, I would say NO, but others may have a different opinion.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

I believe it can but you will have to remove the rear axle and work your way forward.
------------
Dave
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

well not sure on that.

The way everything is connected is follows:

engine
trans
u joint bolted to trans
dual high
u joint bolted to dual high thru 2nd to last cross-member (meaning the U joint must be removed to slide dual high out)
rear end torque tube

i dont think you can remove the dual high without first removing the transmission due to them being butted up against each other and the dual high stuck in the 2nd to last crossmember.

Image - march 29

now that i look at it better, you MAY be able to remove the u joint from the dual high, remove the 2 big bolts holding the dual high to crossmember "flange" on the crossmember - slide it off the dual high, then MAY have enough room to slide the dual high off the trans U joint and drop it down that way....only one way to find out!
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Seeing your picture joged my memory. Yes it can be removed from the transmission. The two bolts on the flange on the cross member behind it need to be removed and then the dual high can be slid backwards and off. That is after the rear end and drive shaft are removed.
Either way you go you will need to remove the rear end or remove the engine and transmission to get it out. One of the down falls of having an enclosed drive shaft. Lots of work no matter what. While you have it apart take the opportunity to replace the drive shaft seal and check bearings, u-joints etc... be a bummer to put it back together and have troubles a ways down the road.
------------
Dave
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

The dual high can not be removed by removing the engine and transmission. You must remove the rear axle and let the drive shaft be slid out of the u-joint at the rear of the dual high. There is a rear support for the dual high (or coupling shaft or Warford) attached to the rear side of the #3 cross member (two bolts). This support must be removed to allow the dual high to be removed.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

StakeBed: how about a pic of the location of the serial # on the frame. Just for ref.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

For information about AA engine ID's and location on the frame see http://aafords.com/aa-information/#feidm
Regards, Neil Wilson