Tires

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Roadster AA
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1928

Tires

Post by Roadster AA »

I am at the point on my AA that I need to buy tires. I have a 1928 flatbed with wire wheels. I need to buy 5 tires and whatever else goes with it. I could use some advice on what to get. I think I will want 600/20.
Ant information on where and what to buy would be so helpful as I do not know what to get.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Pat
flatford39
Body Type: Express

Re: Tires

Post by flatford39 »

I bought my 600 20 Denmans from Universal Tire a while back. Don't think you can get them anymore but they were pretty good to deal with and at the time the best price. You will want new tubes as well as liners with your new tires. I bought my tubes with the metal stems on a 90 and I have them facing in on on the truck. I know this isn't how they came off the line but I feel safer adding air being behind that split rim than in front of it.
macswoods
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by macswoods »

Well, you need the tires,flaps and tubes. You will have to reside if you are going for a show truck (Goodyear,Firestone, BF Goodrich- will cost a lot.
$200 ++). Or is it a driver,then you can get a bit cheaper . Mine I got from Sacramento Ford.( Lucas-$159 ea) You will need to shop,
between the model A supply outlets, and the vintage tire places. It will not be a inexpensive purchase. Mac...
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Originally the '28 AA's came with 30X5 high pressure tires in the front and 32X6 high pressure tires on the rear. In July 1929 6.00X20 balloon tires became standard on the front, but 32X6 high pressure were still used on the rears. Beginning January 1930 6.00X20 balloon tires were used for dual rear wheel applications, but 32X6 high pressure tires continued to be used on single wheeled trucks. Spare tire size usually matched whatever was used on the rear wheels. Since high pressure tires are not available in the sizes used on the AA's, 6.00X20 is usually used to replace the 30X5's and 6.50X20 for the 32X6's.

Keith
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

macswoods wrote:Well, you need the tires,flaps and tubes. You will have to reside if you are going for a show truck (Goodyear,Firestone, BF Goodrich- will cost a lot.
$200 ++). Or is it a driver,then you can get a bit cheaper . Mine I got from Sacramento Ford.( Lucas-$159 ea) You will need to shop,
between the model A supply outlets, and the vintage tire places. It will not be a inexpensive purchase. Mac...
Good advice form macswoods.

Here's my advice... Mounting and airing up the tires for the first time is probably the most dangerous thing to do on these trucks. Make sure that the lock rings are in good condition without major rust pitting or stretched out of shape. Be sure the grooves in the wheels that accept the lock rings are clean and free from rust and deep pitting. In my opinion the wisest thing you can do is once you have them ready take them to a tire shop that repairs truck and equipment tires and have a professional air them up in a cage. These things can and will kill you. Once they are aired up properly they are quite safe.
On my truck I did all of the prep and assembly and then took them in and had them aired up. Stop by the shop you will have them done at and see if they will sell you enough tire lube for assembly. They carry it in bulk and if you bring in a container they will usually give you some. About 10 ounces will do and leave you a bit left over. A cheap foam paint brush works well for applying it. Really helps getting the tires on the wheels.

Nothing cheap about tires. But ya gotta have em if you want to play.
------------
Dave
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

Check the documents for proper tires for year and month truck was built. Get the correct ones right away, or you'll have to live with knowing they are wrong and wishing you spent the extra $$. ( From experience).

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA