cab assembly

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
justmemachine
Body Type: aa stake
Model Year: 1930

cab assembly

Post by justmemachine »

hi all
well here I go again with my cab assembly ?. I have a 29 cab I am trying to put back together from the ground up. I have all the
wood.the door post, top wood, body blocks all of it. and the les Andrews vol, 2 book the book just shows how to do the top wood.
so I guess my first ? is does the cab need to be on the frame or can it be done on the ground where its easer to work on. should
the doors be on to help alien the door post and there buy help alien the top wood. I see in the book that its 28 1/2 " between
the door post and the post that the door hinges hang on. would it be safe to use this # and just go from there. I was hoping someone
who has done a complete cab rebuild could point me in the right way to start.
thanks so much for your time.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Re: cab assembly

Post by KimVanOrder »

I would think off frame is OK. That is how they were originally built. I would also not hang the doors at this time. But I would cut a spacer to set the door dimension and hold it there.

Please take lots of pics to document the process.

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
flatford39
Body Type: Express

Post by flatford39 »

I am doing mine on the frame. I have the cowl and A pillars where they belong and am working from there. I think it needs a secure and correct starting point. Remember the wood kits will get you close but are not exact bolt ins. you need to trim and sand to make them right.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

I would make sure the frame is straight and build it on that. I would also at least install
the doors for a test fit.

Bob
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

82-A Closed Cab Assembly

Post by Neil Wilson »

In my opinion, cab assembly must be done on a frame with the doors installed with the hinges restored. The cab must be bolted to the frame with the body blocks. While an off frame assembly is possible, an on frame insures correct alignment.

Did the cab get assembled off frame when originally built? Yes, all you need are the jigs used to insure correct alignment (see attached). And see more at http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/EGBudd82ACab.htm.

If anyone finds a set of jigs, detail photos would be great.
Attachments
Vince - Ford Garage Budd 82-A 1 b.jpg
Vince - Ford Garage Budd 82-A 1 b.jpg (153.12 KiB) Viewed 5595 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

Wowza thats a chunk o steel as a jig. Good to know to build it on the frame!

question though: if you build it on the frame how are you supposed to align stuff up while also worrying about shimming under the body blocks? Or am i overthinking this all where you shouldnt need shims if you build it on the truck frame...
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Stakebed wrote:Wowza thats a chunk o steel as a jig. Good to know to build it on the frame!

question though: if you build it on the frame how are you supposed to align stuff up while also worrying about shimming under the body blocks? Or am i overthinking this all where you shouldnt need shims if you build it on the truck frame...
Using a frame is the same as using a jig like shown in the picture. The frame must be checked to insure it is flat and square. An out-of flat/square is a poor jig. I don't understand why one would be shimming under the body blocks. If the door hinges are correctly restored then the doors will be a major guide in getting the wood, quarter panels, and rear panels installed on the body sills.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A

Post by papa's ccpu »

Neil,
I haven't checked your website, but are there any reference drawings available with measurements of rear cab bolt holes on the frame, both A and AA?
I have seen were someone did one for the roadster cab, but not the 82-A
Neil Wilson

Rear Body Bolt Holes - 82-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

papa's ccpu wrote:Neil,
I haven't checked your website, but are there any reference drawings available with measurements of rear cab bolt holes on the frame, both A and AA?
I have seen were someone did one for the roadster cab, but not the 82-A
The http://www.AAFords.com only contains information about AA's (so, no A chassis information). The AA frame was punched with the cab's rear body bolt holes. The holes were slightly moved in early 1928 which changed the corresponding body block. I am thinking that this change has something to do with making the 76-A Open Cab available on the AA (starting May 1928) and making the 82-A Closed Cab available on the A (starting in ? May or June ? of 1928). This 82-A change resulted in two rear body bolt holes on each side of the cab. One set of holes (I think the inside holes) were for the AA chassis while the outside holes were for the A chassis.

I saw a Fordbarn post string which indicated that the A chassis didn't have the 82-A rear body bolt holes punched and were drilled in the assembly line. No frame holes is likely the case for the A chassis prior to making the 82-A available (starting in ? May or June ? 1928). But once the 82-A was available it is unlikely that the holes were not punched. Just my opinion - but, this is not something I am going to investigate.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: AA express

Re: cab assembly and cowl panel

Post by birdacre »

did anyone put a new cowl panel on their cab. if you look at the holes in the pillar base there are 2 that connect to cowl base. the cowl panel also has another hole making a total of three. my question: there are only 2 holes in pillar base. how did the last hole in cowl panel attach to pillar. i hate to just drill a hole in a perfect original pillar base. any ideas??
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Leave the hole as is! and don't worry, they are all like that, don't know why :!: Shelby, Sacramento.