!87-A Platform Stake Racks

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck
Model Year: 1931

!87-A Platform Stake Racks

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

I am building up the racks from what little I have as I am short some stakes, But I wonder if anyone has knowledge concerning the front or headache rack. I was given a metal grill that protects the rear window but allows rear vision for the driver. It seems not to line up bolt wise with the two strap stakes either side of the window. I was wondering if this might be for another model and was there a grill for the 31 stake assemblies?
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: !87-A Platform Stake Racks

Post by Stakebed »

Can you post pictures of what you have? Mainly front of your bed showing the stake pockets, stakes you have and length(height) of them.

Ford wasnt the only one making stake racks at that time so you may have some parts from whositswhatsits.

do you have the ford blueprint spec wood boards under the bed? As in cut to the right dimensions - not your close enough hardware store sizes.

Dont mean to bombard you with questions just trying to flush out all the possibilities and combinations as to why it doesnt quite fit (yet) :D
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

!87-A is not a Ford type?
Regards, Neil Wilson
Farrell In Vancouver

Stakebed wrote:Can you post pictures of what you have? Mainly front of your bed showing the stake pockets, stakes you have and length(height) of them.

Ford wasnt the only one making stake racks at that time so you may have some parts from whositswhatsits.

do you have the ford blueprint spec wood boards under the bed? As in cut to the right dimensions - not your close enough hardware store sizes.

Dont mean to bombard you with questions just trying to flush out all the possibilities and combinations as to why it doesnt quite fit (yet) :D
No worries about the questions but I would like to stay on point, so I shall try and restate my question.
Was the a Ford supplied grill integrated into the board that crossed the rear window of the rack on a 187-A Platform with 189-A Stake Racks?
I have one like this but it does not match up to the bolt hole on the two flat stakes in the "head-ache rack (fitting name)
It sold by Battons as: 1928-Feb 1931 AA Rear View Panel-Part#27841 and states it will fit the 188-A
Just wondering really if there was on available for the later Rack assembly
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

189-A Stake Racks

Post by Neil Wilson »

There is an article about the 189-A Stake Racks for the 187-A platform at https://aafordscom.ipage.com/aafords-pdf/187ae.pdf.

The front rack upper board panel for the 188-A Stake Racks is described in an article at https://aafordscom.ipage.com/aafords-pdf/88ae.pdf

The panel was not designed to be attached to the front stakes of the 188-A Stake Racks.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Farrell In Vancouver

Thanks for the info Neil, it help me understand a lot more about the rack assembly.
I may modify the viewing panel I have to use on the front rack as I believe once the racks are installed all the view I can get will be helpful. The front Rack I had, had a piece of game fence or chicken wire in place and while semi-effective it looks pretty crude when compared to the 88-A piece.
Thanks to all for the help.