early 28 worm drive

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: early 28 worm drive

Post by Neil Wilson »

birdacre wrote:the balls in my bearing have no spacer. yours are evenly spaced. is there not a spacer in yours. you can see the void in my race. as they turn it varies which balls have the space, quite a space too, about 2/3 the diameter of a ball, as if one was missing, but not possible, because the space is 1/3 too small. hope all is well. kevin
Based on Keith's information, there was a 10 and 9 ball Gurney bearing and a 10 ball Federal bearing.

Kevin, Please count the number of balls in your thrust bearing.

Kim, Please count the number of balls in your thrust bearing also.

I corrected my information above - the bearing photo is a 10 ball Gurney.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

Post by birdacre »

great info neal. i was determined to find out what i had and be sure that it was designed to run this way. i will count the ball bearings and post. thank you everyone. kevin
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

Neil: The Dec 28 low speed with single breaks I have has 10 balls with a cage. The High speed with dual breaks ( I think its a 29),It had dual steel wheels, has 10 balls with NO cage. BUT. who knows what has been changed over the years.

Question: Is there supposed to be a grease fitting in the rear cap??

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

It looks like the cap with the grease fitting came out in May 1929 according to the Service Letters.

Bob
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

[quote="Bob C"]It looks like the cap with the grease fitting came out in May 1929 according to the Service Letters.

So it looks like somebody upgraded it at some time. Funny the bearing gets lubricated with the gear lube. The grease just goes thru the bearing down into the case. I wonder if that grease zirk came with a bearing change?
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Bob C wrote:It looks like the cap with the grease fitting came out in May 1929 according to the Service Letters.

Bob
The initial cap had a pipe fitting (see the 1927 photo of axle AA-4000 example - the cap was converted to a grease fitting.

The May 1929 Service Bulletin shows both the old and new cap as having a grease fitting. My guess is that the grease fitting cap was put into production with the conversion from the first multi-part thrust bearing to the permanently assembled bearing in late 1928. The two bearing styles are shown below. The multi-part bearing (i.e. first design) would not end up with the balls being lubricated if grease were use. The AA-4696-A2 bearing can be greased since the balls are exposed.
Attachments
aa4000-wta79-q8.jpg
aa4000-wta79-q8.jpg (147.25 KiB) Viewed 5520 times
worm-thrust-d1-d2.jpg
worm-thrust-d1-d2.jpg (51.33 KiB) Viewed 5520 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by KimVanOrder »

Neil Wilson wrote:
Bob C wrote:It looks like the cap with the grease fitting came out in May 1929 according to the Service Letters.

Bob
The initial cap had a pipe fitting (see the 1927 photo of axle AA-4000 example - the cap was converted to a grease fitting.

The May 1929 Service Bulletin shows both the old and new cap as having a grease fitting. My guess is that the grease fitting cap was put into production with the conversion from the first multi-part thrust bearing to the permanently assembled bearing in late 1928. The two bearing styles are shown below. The multi-part bearing (i.e. first design) would not end up with the balls being lubricated if grease were use. The AA-4696-A2 bearing can be greased since the balls are exposed.

Neil: will the gear lube also get up to the bearing? On mine the grease was all washed away with the gear lube. So no need to grease it. ( I think) .

Unless!! there is a sealed bearing version that is closed off to the worm side. (mine was not).
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Neil: will the gear lube also get up to the bearing? On mine the grease was all washed away with the gear lube. So no need to grease it. ( I think) .

Unless!! there is a sealed bearing version that is closed off to the worm side. (mine was not).
I don't see why the gear lube would not get to the bearing. My information above was "my guess" (not fact) as to why Ford changed from a pipe fitting for gear lube to a grease fitting. I don't think (just guessing) sealed bearings existed in 1928/1929.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by KimVanOrder »

Neil Wilson wrote:

I don't see why the gear lube would not get to the bearing. My information above was "my guess" (not fact) as to why Ford changed from a pipe fitting for gear lube to a grease fitting. I don't think (just guessing) sealed bearings existed in 1928/1929.
Good Guess. Just to be clear,, Mine has a grease fitting and a pipe plug to put lube in. ( when I mentioned "sealed" bearing I was thinking of that one that has the balls sandwiched between the races. )

So dose gear lube get up into the front roller bearing? Or,,, that one relies on a grease from a fitting? I have one that the frt. roller is shot and has a reworked race. The splines are turned down so the race would slide on so there is less engagement of the splines. Then I guess you rely on the pin that locks then together to Cary some of the rotational torque. Should work fine for "parade " loads.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
birdacre
Body Type: AA express

Post by birdacre »

my bearing has 10 balls with no cage and a square plug on cap. hope this helps. thank you for input and ideas. kevin.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

So dose gear lube get up into the front roller bearing? Or,,, that one relies on a grease from a fitting?
Gear lube must get into the front roller bearing as I don't see any other way it that lubrication would happen.
I have one that the frt. roller is shot and has a reworked race. The splines are turned down so the race would slide on so there is less engagement of the splines. Then I guess you rely on the pin that locks then together to Cary some of the rotational torque. Should work fine for "parade " loads.
I don't understand the above. Provide photos to aid your text please.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

for what its worth my march 29 AA had the large pipe plug in the cap...
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Neil: I'll add more words. ( can't post pics)..

The area that the front roller contacts was worn out. Supposed to be a 1 1/2" dia. This was turned down to 1- 5/16" which also reduces the dia. over the splines. Then a hardened bushing was pressed on to bring the worn area back to the original 1-1/2" . Much the same way the inner races for the rear hubs are repaired. This process off turning down the worn out area also reduces the OD. of the male spline on the worm. Material lost on the top of the splines is .093". So the splines still engage, just not 100%. The load is still carried mostly by the splines, but then the locking pin is also there to pick up some of the load.

A way to save a worm that has a worn out race at the front.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

KimVanOrder wrote:Neil: I'll add more words. ( can't post pics)..

The area that the front roller contacts was worn out. Supposed to be a 1 1/2" dia. This was turned down to 1- 5/16" which also reduces the dia. over the splines. Then a hardened bushing was pressed on to bring the worn area back to the original 1-1/2" . Much the same way the inner races for the rear hubs are repaired. This process off turning down the worn out area also reduces the OD. of the male spline on the worm. Material lost on the top of the splines is .093". So the splines still engage, just not 100%. The load is still carried mostly by the splines, but then the locking pin is also there to pick up some of the load.

A way to save a worm that has a worn out race at the front.
Okay, I now understand what was done. I wouldn't guess that the pin holding the coupler onto the worm splines would provide any support unless some kind of hardened pin were used. As hard as it is to find a 5.17:1 worm and/or worm gear, it sounds like the salvage effort was worth it.
Regards, Neil Wilson