Bumper Braces

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Apple Truck

Bumper Braces

Post by Apple Truck »

I am ready to put on my front bumper on but the braces are to short. I think they are for a car. I have the ones that was on the truck when I got it and I think they are longer by about three or four inches. The left and right are not the same. The bend radius is a lot different. I don't have the old ones with me at this time and was hopeing someone could tell me how much I need to ad to the car parts to make them work.

Thank You
Apple Truck
macswoods
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Bumper Braces

Post by macswoods »

most likely they for a30 or 31 A, the 28 or 29 are longer. Mac....
Apple Truck

Post by Apple Truck »

Thank You macswoods
The hotroder I got them from said it was off a 29 but now that I think about it I did see a bumper for a 30 or 31 sitting in his shop.

Thank you
Apple Truck
macswoods

Post by macswoods »

yup, I bought a set of "29" off ebay a couple years back that turned out to be 30. Mine are off some other odd truck, not correct, still looking.

Mac..... :lol:
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

If either of you need the two brackets I'm pretty sure I have them. Let me know and I will do some digging.
------------
Dave
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

ive got mine i could measure but they are buried in the garage right now... one of the last things to go on the truck haha.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

If this thread is about AA's which came with the A chassis front bumpers, then the following is what will be in the upcoming revised RGJS (Restoration Guidflines & Judging Standards):

Front bumper arms were the same as for the A chassis through December 1929. Beginning in January 1930 front bumper arms were as shown in figure 33. These arms were designed to place the bumper clamps about 3” closer together allowing either 1929 or 1930 A chassis bumpers to be used (some early 1930 AA’s used 1929 A chassis front bumpers).
Figure 33 – AA Front Bumper Arms
e04 f33.jpg
e04 f33.jpg (330.86 KiB) Viewed 4927 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Apple Truck »

Neil Thank you for the clarification. I have what I think is a early 30. It has matching engine and frame numbers. number indicates the engine was made in mid November. It has a 4 speed trans that was stamped 11-15-29 Every thing seems to be 29 truck. It was originaly my grandfathers cousin"s truck. It was retitled when he passed. It was then titled in his wife's name. It has been in the family since new. It was titled as a 1930 when I got it. I have heard that the title's went by the year the truck was sold. I don't know if this is true or not so I am calling it an early 30. I added 3 inches to the 1931 arms I had. I know it will lower the bumper about a half inch but I don't think anyone will notice.
Thanks
Apple Truck
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Apple Truck wrote:Neil Thank you for the clarification. I have what I think is a early 30. It has matching engine and frame numbers. number indicates the engine was made in mid November. It has a 4 speed trans that was stamped 11-15-29 Every thing seems to be 29 truck. I have heard that the title's went by the year the truck was sold. I don't know if this is true or not so I am calling it an early 30.
Thanks
Apple Truck
The year on the title basically does not mean anything. Some states didn't have titles back in the day. So when a title was applied for (in the past), the year was usually determined by the owner.

It sounds like you have a 1929 AA. The year/month of an A or AA would be based on when it rolled off the assembly line (not when sold). Post pictures of your AA showing the front end, rear end, and side view as a starter for trying to id the year. If you can get a shot of the #4 cross member (above the rear axle), that would also help in the year identification.
Regards, Neil Wilson